We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cozumeleno Resort

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
El Cozumeleno Resort

I have a trip planned for a week in October and will be staying at the El Cozumeleno Resort. I am beginning to be concerned about all the negative responses regarding the food. I have stayed at two other places in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen and I was quite happy with the buffets and I recognize that people do get bored with them etc. However, the negative reviews about the birds eating the food and the sickness people came down with is starting to really disturb me. I always expect there to be bad reviews on every resort, but it appears that there are far more bad than good on El Cozumeleno. I am beginning to wonder if I should pay money to change where I will be staying. Can anyone please help me feel better about staying at El Cozumeleno?

caruthersville
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Hello MoTraveler, i am also in Mo.I am staying here in Oct as well .I posted the same thing and there were some people who just love the El Coz and some who just complained of the food.I am going to be sure to take a little extra money so we can eat else where a couple nights.We will have a great time regardless of food just relax and enjoy the beautiful ocean.I choose this resort b/c it was #1 for children.So talk to you later.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Hey Mo....Yuk...Yuk...Yuk (Sorry, it had to be done :o)

We've been giong to the ElCoz twice a year for over 7 years....NEVER once got sick from the food....

I see people drinking gallons of drinks all day and eating three plates of food at dinner....try to blame their sickness on the food....

NOT!

True there are birds there....just like every resort on the island...The resort has covers on all the food at the buffet, and the waiters are constantly chasing the birds away....But it always happens....some inconsiderate person leaves a pan of food open, or walks away from their food on the table...and just like anywhere, even the theme park I work at....the birds see a free meal and go for it....So the blame for drawing the birds goes to the people who don't care....

Another thing is, people say they got sick, and it ruined their "Whole" vacation. My wife got sick from the plane ride last year, and we simply went to the front desk and talked to Nanci. She made a call to a local doctor, who sent a script to "Our Room" and within a day my wife was all better.

Trust me, there is no mysterious illness looming over the Elcoz....if that was the case, there would be hundreds of negative reviews and the employees would be sick as well....They eat there too...

Relax....enjoy yourself.....that's why they call it a vacation... :o)

Allen.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

OK. I feel better. I'll stop worrying about the birds and sickness and go back to thinking about the margaritas and the beach.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Now Yer Talkin'... :o)

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Ditto Morgy's post.......I am one of the diehard El Coz fans. If we go there for many years as some of us has and get sick, would we be saying how great it is; and why would we even tell people that we've never been sick and continue to praise El Coz?

I certainly don't get any kind of favor or discounts, or anything else for a good review and I could bet my life, that no one else does either.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

I have never stayed at the El Cozumelino, but since I watch this forum daily I really have to say there has never been a set of messages leading me to believe the food or anything else about it has made it's guests get sick due to anything the resort could be held accountable for. Now on the otherhand there are lots of things the guests might do to cause some problems that they then blame the resort for, but when all the evidence is considered it can clearly be seen it is generally due to non resort issues.

Most of us, myself included, eat food that our body simply rejects because it is new & spicy, or simply cooked in unfamiliar ways. We also eat things we have never eaten before, which again may have been cooked with spices our digestive system hasn't seen before, so that causes an internal revolution. Add to that excessive drinking of alcohol (compared to a normal day at home) while sitting in the hot sun a lot and you can see a recipe for a problem. Personally I am amazed I don't have more digestive problems while there since I eat very differently that I do while at home, plus at home I drink almost a litre of milk daily, (one US quart), but in Cozumel the only milk I consume is in my coffee. Consider your own eating & drinking habits while there and I think it is easy to see why many get some form of sickness, but it isn't from poor or lax food preparation, it is simply from eating something totally different than your body has ever experienced, and that can happen by eating in a restaurant just down the street you live on, and has happened to me too.

Houston Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Mo,

I have been to Cozumel 12 times myself. I stayed at the Coz. for the first time in July. The resort itself is outstanding. I got sick the last night on the food and was sick for a week when I got home. I am not a complainer, however, the food is not that good. Your plan for eating in town a few nights is a good one. I did not do that and paid the price.

I still plan on reutrning to the resort however because of the location , view, service, and DRINKS!!!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

I first stayed at the El Coz about 10 years ago and the food was awful then. It has greatly improved over the years and I would even consider it to be "good" now. My only complaint would be that the hamburgers and hotdogs are pre-made with the meat in the bun and then set out wrapped up like you were at a fast food place.

I have to admit that when I was there about a month ago the bird problem was much worse than I have ever seen it. I turned around once for about 5 seconds and was robbed by a bird. The waiters do watch out and I was alerted and invited to get another plate by my waiter. The birds have even figured out how to pull back the napkin cover on the bread in the buffet line and peck away. I have never seen it this bad in the past so hopefully it is a temporary situation. There are products such as Avitrol which is a bait that causes the birds to hallucinate and give off a distress signal that scares off all of the other birds in the area. I hope the resort will do something about the bird situation.

Despite the birds and average food, the El Coz is still one of my favorite resorts in Mexico because of all of the other positives which are too numerous to list.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Cicopo, or anyone else,

Sorry to change the subject of this post, but speaking of milk, what kind of milk is it they serve in Cozumel? We love Cozumel and love the food, but just cannot stomach the milk. Is it goat’s milk, non-pasteurized, or what?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

The milk is ultra-pasteurized and on the dry goods shelf with the OJ/Mango juices. They sell regular and skim types. it is in a juice box container.

"leche" is Spanish for milk. Refrigerate after opening.

My wife used it in her cereal and coffee with no problems.