We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
travel insurance

I am looking for a basic trip cancellation insurance.

AIG travel guard looks adequate, but I'm no expert.

Does anyone have a preferred insurance policy/company?

I just want to cover the cost of the flights if there is a hurricane when I go in October.

Thanks,

Maria

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance

Maria, when we had reservations on Continental in October 05 (suppose to arrive the same day Wilma did), Continental actually canceled the flight and we re-booked at no additional charge. You might check with the airline because if they cancel the flight you should be refunded...

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance

Thanks, Linkslady, but I'd still like to have my own coverage and not have to rely on the "generosity" of the airlines.

Maria

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance

Here are three you can look at.

I can't vouch for them as I "self insure". I've only had one trip cancel and that was when we were supposed to fly in the Saturday after Wilma hit the island. Needless to say, USAir canceled the flight so we could rebook at our convenience. We caught one on the first new flights in December as we had to see it for ourselves.

www.insuremytrip.com

www.accessamerica.com

www.travelex-insurance.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
600 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance

We used Travel Insured International when we went to Roatan in May. After doing the research on other companies first, their rates seemed comparable.

www.travelinsured.com or 800-243-3174

5. Re: travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 21:18