We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship tours or not

Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship tours or not

We will be in port from 7a to 4pm. Should we purchase a tour through the cruise line or just grab a taxi at port? Don't have anything in mind - not into diving or horseback riding. Last time we were in port, hit Senor Frogs as soon as we could and well, that's all we saw of Cozumel. Would like to find a local hospital or Red Cross close by the pier so we can take some items to them. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

V.

Maryland
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

We had a great week in Cozumel in July. One of my favorite things was when we stopped a taxi van and asked how much he would charge us for an hour tour around Coz. We bargained him down to

$40 . He ended up taking us for 2 1/2 hours all around from north to south and east to west! He took us (Carlos in case you are lucky enough to get him) to where the locals including himself live as well. He stopped where ever we asked him to and for any photo opp we wanted. It was a great way to see the whole true Coz in a short amount of time. That still leaves you plenty time to do something else. We have much better memories of that than of Senior frogs! By the way it was myself and my 22 year old son and 17 year old daughter and we all loved it and Carlos got a good tip :)

ENJOY!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

Dont book anything on the ship unless you want to pay double prices and go everywhere with a crowd. A shame you only saw Senor Frogs--so much more to see. A taxi is a good suggestion.

You will find both the Red Cross and hospitals not too far from the pier--depending on which pier you use.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

As Robert said...never book anything on the ship...you pay dearly for it there. AND in case the ship does not make a stop at a place where you have a tour...they are tough on the refunds. Just get off the ship and do your own thing! Lots more fun...and it gives the local people the money...NOT the ship or a tour company funded by the ships.

Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

Thanks everyone for the input! I have been on many cruises & never booked a tour. We will grab a taxi & do our own thing!

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

You may want to pm ds2 for more options besides the hospital and red cross. She is a wonderful asset and big supporter of humanitarian causes on the island.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

Would you recommend the same route for a couple of our friends who want to see the ruins when we visit Cozumel? We have 8 girls going on a cruise and 3 of them want to visit some ruins. The rest of us just want to shop, have lunch and drinks.

From what I can see, we can take a cab for about $6 downtown from the pier. I am not sure at which pier we will dock.

The idea of riding around for a couple of hours to see the real Cozumel really sounds like fun.

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

A special for anyone from Daytona (or anyone else for that matter.....PM me your email address and I'll send you our latest beach reviews. It's updated as of my trip last week. (7.5 megs with pics, but in .pdf form.)

if you want a map, I have those as well.

It will save you a lot of time deciding where to go.

8. Re: Cruise ship tours or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:16