We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

Hello,

I just booked a trip to cozumel for our family of four including twin five year old boys. We will be in cozumel for 7 nights but we are also interested in taking the ferry to the mainland to see some ruins. Question: Can you see some great ruins in a day trip or would I be better to spend the night there? We are flying in and out of Cozumel so we must return back to cozumel but would love some of your input of seeing the ruins, which ones to see, and how much time is needed to do it! Thanks so much!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

My advice is when you want to see the ruins, stay near them...There are many fine resorts nearby..The other options are to charter a private plane,or try your patience on a LONG bus ride,with no frills.....Another option is the ruins overlooking the ocean...Not as major,but worthy...This will be more for your benefit,as your boys will be bored.....Better to turn them on to snorkeling in Coz.....

PA
Level Contributor
717 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

Two years ago we took our kids to Tulum (overlooking the ocean) when they were 8 and 10. It was in May and we were all extremely hot! They were interested to a point but it was not one of their favorite things.

The following year we took them to the small ruins on Cozumel (San Gervasio) and though nowhere near as impressive, they liked that it was shaded and we could walk around at our on pace and read the plaques. I don't need massive ruins to be impressed - I am impressed by the fact that I am seeing something that has been around since 300 A.D.

All in all.........the kids had much more fun snorkeling at El Cozumeleno!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

The "major" ruins close to Cozumel are Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza. CI is the most elaborate, the most worth seeing, the hardest to get to in a day trip with little kids. In fact I'd say it's out of the question, plus you'd need to stay at the ruins to see all it has to offer. Coba is a long drive as well, and not as grand as CI. I think that Coba and CI are way too vast for your kids, especially when you throw in driving all that distance. That leaves Tulum, which has a beautiful site and a nice beach, and is also the "symbol" for the Mayan Riviera in all those tourism photos. I wouldn't call it a great ruin, but it certainly is worth the trip. It's easy to get to, south of Playa del Carmen, where the ferry from Cozumel arrives. Plus Tulum is a lot less humid that Coba and CI. There is a site on Cozumel, San Gervasio, but it's not worth the price of admission. Tulum is what you want, and I'd allow all day for the visit.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

Where are you staying? Most resorts will offer tours from your resort that will return you to the resort in the evening. As previously stated Chicken Pizza is the most famous and visited ruin but may be a bit much when considering twin 5 year olds.

You may want to consider the Tulum and or Coba ruins. They are closer to Cozumel and the Tulum ruins are situated on the beach and therefore you will get the ocean breezes to help cool you and the kids. You will sorely miss those breezes at Chitzen Itza...

5. Re: a day trip to the mainland to see ruins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 21:18