We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying New Dive Gear

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Topic
Buying New Dive Gear

Hi

Currently the UK pound is at a 30 year high against the US dollar. This means that I am able to purchase goods priced in US dollars, at great prices.

I am in the market for a new reg set (Scubapro)-so can anyone tell me where I can find keen prices with plenty of choice. (Even if its up in Cancun). We are over in less than 4 weeks now.

Thank you

Ian

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

Ian -

Buying in MX is a not a good bargain -- their import duties make retail prices much, much higher than those in the USA plus they add 15% VAT. The Coz pros try to buy in the US whenever they can arrange it.

You'd be better off looking at US online merchants -- though Scubapro has strict controls on internet sales and you will have a hard time buying with the service-parts warranty and I don't know if a US-market warranty is transferrable to England -- or check on Ebay and other auction sites.

If you'd like a quote on a specific setup from an independent retailer in the US, I'm sure we can get that for you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

ds2 is correct. Gear in MX is very expensive.

I usually buy local to support the dive shops, but this is a decent place to buy gear:

www.diversdirect.com/

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

Personally I would not buy a regulator from anyone other than a authorized distributor. Fins, masks and wetsuits from the internet is fine.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

Ian, I agree with copilot. I am quite new to diving so haven't invested in the heavy duty stuff yet, but I'm getting there.....

By using dive shop equipment, I've realized that there are some regs that I just do not like. You can't beat trying things like that for size. It's such an important part of your life-saving aparatus that you want to get it just right. Sermon over!!!

Have fun.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

An excellent online dealer is Scuba Toys out of Texas. They don't handle Scuba Pro but a lot of other brands. I agree with the other posters buy from a US dealer and have it shipped to you. You will still come out ahead vs. buying in Cozumel our Cancun.

If you're set on Scuba Pro go to their website and it should give you a list of dealers with websites.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

Hi

I have e mailed ScubaToys and diversdirect and both ship to the UK.

The current exchange rate of $2.09 to the £1, means that dive gear prices in the US are little more than half what the asking price is here.(Its very brand dependent though).

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Ian

7. Re: Buying New Dive Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 09:24