We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might want to watch it on the East side

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Might want to watch it on the East side

This was posted on two other Cozumel forums -

travelnotes.cc/tchatters/viewtopic.php?t=7948

An isolated incident to be sure, but very unfortunate for the people involved.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

That is a scary post!! I might not rent a car at all when we go next month- I really would be in a panic. Hate to miss the east side of the island though- no Coconuts :=( .

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

I wouldnt let this isolated incident deter your travel plans to not rent a car and visit the other side of Cozumel. The person didnt have his Drivers Lic. on him and thats not a way to start a Traffic Stop in a foriegn country, even in the USA its a big deal. So a lot of factors at play here. Im not saying the police were right in this situation, which they were not. It was unfortanate and I feel sorry for the people involved.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

Exactly - an unfortunate incident but it sure doesn't scare me off from going to the East side or anywhere else in Cozumel. I've been shaken down for cash a couple of times by the police where I grew up - Chicago. But it may pay to be a little more careful as far as seat belts and drinking goes when you're at the more out of the way areas. And I would always demand to pay my fine at the police station, no matter how inconvenient that may be.

Michigan
Level Contributor
869 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

Hobie,

Yeah you are a tough old guy (kidding). I found kind of scary too.

Maybe, I did not notice, but when Mike and I drove around the island, I only seen one police car and that was on the transversial road, almost into town. They had stopped someone who was going west to east.

The last line of your note is a very good bit of advice. I will remember that for the next trip. I would be the kind to panic. Mike and I drove early in the afternoon if that made a difference, I just don't know.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

Thanks for posting this...I would have been a nervous wreck! I sent this link onto the people we're vacationing with. We were trying to decide if we were going to rent a car or hire a taxi when visiting the rest of the island. We were leaning torwards hiring a taxi anyways...and this does it for me, even if it's a rare thing. I just don't want to worry about all that.

I'm sorry this happend to you...and hopefully it won't to anyone else.

United States
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

A very sad day indeed. Good thing is one can learn from others misfortunes. Lots of lessons learned but two stand out.

1. Don't forget DL

2. Let them take you in to pay fine.

So sorry this had to happen but some useful information for all, especially newbies like us.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

Personally, I would just pay the fine on the spot and get on with my vacation. I wouldn't let it get inside my head and ruin priceless vacation time.

The few times that I've driven to the east side have been for two reasons... the beach and to have a couple of drinks at the bars. I think the Police realize that many other tourists partake in the same activity, so it would be unrealistic to think that they would not pull over a higher % of tourists for safety reasons alone. Of course there is no excuse for the bribes, but oh well, the vacation goes on.

If you were to be pulled over after a couple of drinks, but still very capable of driving, while in the US, you would be still be looking at an ordeal that will cost you a minimum of $2500. It should be comforting to know that you can get out of the same ordeal for under $100 while vacationing in Cozumel. I think everyone has taken this subject way too seriously both here and on the Cancun forum. The worst thing that could happen is not that bad so just don't worry about it and have a great time!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

wow, what a story. Can anyone tell me what the legal limit is on cozumel for drinking and driving, thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

That depends really on the Cops mood at the time. Its just like anything after time. When I first started living here it was on my mind a lot. But as culture and time sink in, Its biz as usual. Unfortunately that is the way it is. Be nice, courteous, respectful, carry your DL, and if you need to slip a little contribution to make it all go away so be it. I try and stick to around the 10-20 dollar range however.

Whats funny is that I see people on vacation here in rented Jeeps Standing up on the back seats arms hanging on the roll bar etc.

People on Mopeds with flip flop sandles barely missing Trucks and cars along the highway......Its kinda Scary...

Would that be accepted back home on the Highway in the USA/CAN.

No-way....

Didnt mean to get off base here a little but what it breaks down to is be aware of your surroundings, have a designated driver here just like home. And understand a culture that works very different than the one we are accustomed to. Bad Cop, Good Cop its universal...

ohio
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Might want to watch it on the East side

I normally do not comment on some threads. Driving without a liscence is not tolerated here in the US, driving under the influence is definatey against the law and what is the charge for bribing cops? Why should it be ok on vacation in Cozumel?

rent a car and go to the east side, take the drivers liscense, wear seat belts, obey the laws, stay sober , no coolers full of booze. If you want to party take a cab.

$50. is a cheap price to pay for no drivers liscence, cooler full of booze... Clearly there was intent of drinking in this case along with bribing officials. The driver chose to pay off the officer..When the rest of the cops found out they just wanted a piece of the pie.

The whole thing was blown out of proportion IF it even happened.