We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Warning

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Warning

The government consumer protection agency, PROFECO, is warning about the jewelry sold in many stores in Cozumel. the local director ,Ariadne Choral Santín, indicated "that this it is not a problem that can be adjudged to two or three jewelry shops, but that the great majority is committing these illicit sales, which is affecting all Cozumel."

"Many retailers are doing this, since they have realized of which it is a fast form to make business, inducing to the deceit to the tourists, selling to them things that a value very much below the real one , allowing them to sell to more than the thousand percent of his real cost", she states.

This agency , PROFECO, is a highly respected and effective one and it would be wise to heed their advice. Of course, the same advice would apply to Playa del Carmen, Cancun and many other areas, I am certain.

The Original Salsa and Salsa
Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
Tours Plaza - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Safe Tours Cozumel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Wild Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
211. Re: Jewelry Warning

I don't understand why people go out of the country to buy jewelry. I like to be able to know I can easily take mine back to where I bought it; and besides, if it was really such fire sale deals wouldn't every jewelry store owner in the US be flying down there to snap up these bargains?

Just my .02 though

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
212. Re: Jewelry Warning

FYI: Lic. Santin is no longer in Cozumel. To file a complaint and seek a refund, you will need to use the main site: profeco.gob.mx/Servicios/quejas_denun_ingles…

They have 30 days from the date received to respond and the experience I have seen, they did reply on day 29 or 30. Look for a reply in your junk mail, spam inbox.

The cruise lines are quite content with the situation. They warn passengers to not buy from anyone except their "approved" stores with their cruise line guarantee. Of course they don't tell that they insulate themselves by having a middleman, PPI or Onboard Media which conducts all the promotions (brainwashing) and will make you jump through hoops to get attention. Promotional, "port lecturers", now sometimes called port "shopping guides" are not cruise line employees. They only look like they are, wearing the same uniforms and IDs (one more deception).

As always, if you don't know what you are doing, fair market value and can judge quality and authenticity, you're wide open to be taken. I have seen instances (rare) where dealers have different agendas. Years back in St Thomas, many Indian merchants would sell gold chains, the same Italian made as everyone for 25 cents per gram markup. Their net profit was about 1 1/2%. They managed to accomplish moving funds from India, to Italy and then on to the U.S. motivated by reasons other than profit.

Many, many years ago, when there were family owned jewelry stores in the States, jewelers would vacation and buy up quality, Mexican hand made chains and jewelry. Mexico could boast of high quality silver/goldsmiths and creative jewelry designers. Now most products are made in China, just like in the States. Please don't be foolish and get taken, it hurts the honest merchants.

Kissimmee
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
213. Re: Jewelry Warning

Beware of !silver! jewelry in Cozumel, these are copper silver plated trash.

Kissimmee
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
214. Re: Jewelry Warning

Bought a mans bracelet for $90.00 in one jewelry store in Cozumel. After a week it became dull and the copper showed. Fraud.....

Kissimmee
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
215. Re: Jewelry Warning

Avoid by all means buying !silver! jewelry in Cozumel even if they are marked .925. These are fraudulent trash jewelry.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
216. Re: Jewelry Warning

Not in all stores julmaro. You evidently bought from a disreputable store. Please don't make accusations against ALL stores in Cozumel when you don't really know the facts.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
217. Re: Jewelry Warning

Julmaro- did you happen to come to this site before your trip. You can see this thread has been going since 2007. Poeple need to do the research before the trip. Instead of coming on this site and slamming cozumel. I put blame on the tourist as well for not doing research before the trip.

Collierville...
5 posts
Save Reply
218. Re: Jewelry Warning

To all you readers who just have to slap folks hands for not having the 'special gift of wisdom' that you THINK you have: Just SPARE US we don't NEED your comments. Thank God that Tripadvisor.com is available for the folks that really need them.

I am sure if the shoe were on the other foot, we wouldn't be rubbing YOUR noses in it. It isn't here for people who like to read for 'pleasure'.

I for one just received my refund through Ms Santin at Profeco yesterday!

Thanks to the ones who cared.......really cared.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
219. Re: Jewelry Warning

Congratulations Mary! Persistence can and does pay off. More than just getting YOUR money returned, one more successful refund makes it easier and faster for the next. The first handful of cases were more difficult to supply Lic. Santin the needed legal requirements to proceed. After she had sufficient complaints to show a pattern (by a few merchants) cases could be opened with a stronger assumption of fraud. Profeco can and does work. It stands as the best consumer protection agency of any country I have seen!

Good job!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
220. Re: Jewelry Warning

Good to hear it , Mary. I never have much faith in government agencies but as Jerry says, Profeco does work.