We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

hi...i will be staying at the occidental grand in feb and was interested in scuba diving. does anyone know if the hotel or any dive shop on the island does diving trips for non-licensed people. i dove once in punta cana through our hotel. i would like to go again this time. i would like my husband to go too but he's afraid of getting water in his ears (he's had a history of severe ear infections).

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

mina

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

You should be able to do a resort course that will allow you to dive on shallow trips. Check with the dive op at the Grand.

I am not a podiatrist but you may consider having the hubby see an ear doctor about his concerns. I use white vinegar drops in my ears after diving and it prevents ear infections for me. Ask a real doctor if this may allow your hubby to dive without getting ear infections.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

Isn't a podiatrist a foot Dr? lol

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

I'm still laughing....yeah, foot doctor.

He needs to see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor.

and still laughing! heh-heh

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

The in house dive op is Dive Palancar (www.divepalancar.com) and they are a well established & very reputable op that will meet your needs re the Resort Course and then take you diving. I also have an ear problem, but not anything like his so as suggested check with your doctor in advance & maybe you will be able to prevent problems through knowledge or with some form of medicine.

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

The dove op @ the Grand will let you dive WITH an instructor(extra cost, of course)and will encourage you to take a refresher intro course(which IS a good idea if you're not certified). They will stay with you & keep you safe, which is what it's all about, safety, so you can come back & get certified!

Ear-podiatrist, Ron? Were you thinking foot-in-mouth disease, or ear-to-the-ground syndrome? Thanks, still giggling. Let me get my finger out of my eye & finish this.

Mina, just go to the dive shop, they'll be glad to help you & hubby, maybe they'll let him snorkel while you dive. Have fun, Mo

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

Co Pilot is not dumb...just a bad comedian.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,172 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

A really bad comedian--but good advice.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

Most of the resorts have the Discover Scuba option. If you are looking at using another resort double check first. Due to insurance resons some only allow their guests to use the pool for that portion of the instruction. Have you considered getting certified or at least doing the class and poolwork at home? I think you would get much more 'fun time' and it would be cheaper in the long run.

I also suffered horrible ear infections when young. I have had surgery on one of my eardrums due to a hole and scar tissue. So I figure if I can dive without problems anyone can. Your husband will know at 12 feet if he can equalize or not. Like Ron said the vinegar helps. I also use the over the counter drying aids and as an extra precaution to ward off the evil spirits, I bring along a prescription bottle of Ciprodex drops just in case. Fortunately, I have never had to use it.

Be nice to my 'Knight in Black Socks'. He helped me out tremendously when I was looking into scuba and worried about my ears.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

None of us think he's dumb...I just thought it was funny. I for one value his advice and glad he's here to help.

10. Re: diving trips for non-licensed tourists....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:16