We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

We have to catch the ferry in playa to cozumel,..once we get there where should we go for good snorkling..I hear you can go from beach and see great fish on your own and not have to take a tour...but we will take a good experiene with a tour also.

Also, where we get off the ferry, is stuff in walking distance? and what shoudl we do while there?

thanks!

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

You will get off the ferry downtown in San Miguel on Cozumel. The major shopping district and most restaurants are within easy walking distance. The best restaurants are a short walk from the ferry pier.

The best snorkeling on the island is found on the offshore reefs and is accessible only by boat. Prior to hurricane Wilma there was some good snorkeling from the beaches but that has all changed now.

You can still snorkel from the beaches but you will see only some sporadic corals and only a few species of fish. The best shore snorkeling is found at Punta Sur Park at the southern end of the island. You can also snorkel from shore at the Money Bar (formerly Dzul-Ha).

My suggestion is to go to Palancar Beach Club and take their offshore snorkel tour to Palancar Reef. Its about $35 per person and well worth it...

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

Best free beach.......Paradise beach on the Sanfransico. Must supply your own snorkle equipment. Not a lot of vegitation however seen a lot of fish. Have fun.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

I just returned from my 4th visit to Cozumel. I recommend that you look at the website cozumelmycozumel and locogringo. Some good information about snorkeling is available. We paid some local guy to take us out in his boat to snorkel on the reefs. He keeps his boat at Nachi Cocom beach club, and you can set it up with him there. I think his name was Leonardo. He took us to 3 locations to drift snorkel on the reefs. Also, from the beach at Playa Corona, there is good snorkeling.

Our other #1 and fabulous snorkel was the reef off of Puerto Morales. This is a small fishing village between Cancun and Playa. Go to the dock in the village. ( Easily found as the dock is listing from the hurricane.) There is a small building there with snorkeling trip sign. Fee: $25.00 per person. It was the best snorkel of my life! The reef was shallow and beautiful. Plant life undisturbed and many types of sea life. As we were ready to get into the little boat to end the trip, a huge eagle ray swam up to me. It gently turned and slowly swam away. What an awesome experience! I'll be back there next year!

4. Re: Playa Del to Cozumel..Where is good snorkling/beach etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:19