We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few First-Timer Questions

St Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A Few First-Timer Questions

Hola!

My boyfriend and I (both in our mid-twenties) will be traveling to Cozumel from February 21st – 25th. I have found SO MUCH helpful info on these boards! However, as this is our first trip to Mexico, I have a couple of questions…

1. Where is a good place to exchange dollars to pesos? I know we can get pesos from the ATMS – should we stick to that? Or is there another place to get a good exchange rate?

2. I’ve seen advertisements for horseback riding in the jungle or on the beach. Can anyone here recommend a good (and fun!) tour? I’m looking for one that treats their animals well.

3. I’ve read about sea lice and I’m kinda freaking out. I know February isn’t the high season, but we are planning on snorkeling almost every day. Would you recommend I order some Sea Safe? I don’t want to spend $20 on something that is ineffective or unnecessary, but I definitely don’t want an angry rash (especially under my swimsuit – ouch!) or a fear of getting in the water.

Thank you so much!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,506 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

1) I only use ATMs

2) Horses scare me

3) I dive and do not know what this "sea lice" issue is all about.

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

ATM is the way to go. We used a Bank of America ATM card at BanaMex ATM machines and there is no added fee. And you probably get the best exchange rate using the ATM.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

Or, if you stay at a reputable resort, such as oh say Cozumel Palace, you can bypass the exchange completely and just use your greenbacks where ever you go. Keep only as much as you need on you during any given day and place the remainder in your in-room safe.

We never exchange dollars for pesos except on our last day when we convert all of the pesos we have accumulated as change back into dollars right before we leave the island. The dollar and pesos are used equally all over the island...

Although it may be cheaper to use pesos for certain instances, if converting back and forth becomes a hassle, just use the dollars...

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

Atm's are the way to go.There are exchange booths all over town and the difference is minimal.

Never did the horseback thing in Coz so can't help you out there.

I've been going to Coz for 15 years and spend most of my time in the water so must ask. What are sea lice? Am I missing something here?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

Sea lice is a term used when talking about the larvae of thimble jellyfish. They can be present from April to July.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

Honestly, we've never had the rash, or my gkids. We always take several changes of swimsuits. I've seen some people use the same suit for a week. We've been going almost 14 yrs now and NEVER had a problem and have never worn anything special to prevent it, other than changing our swimsuits....or my divesuit when I was diving.

There are other parasites in the water, also than does the same thing. My husband has a feeding tube in his stomach and he was advised NOT to get in the ocean, because of that very thing.

Don't be overly "worried". You can do what suits you, but I would save the $20 or whatever it costs.

Happy planning!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

First never heard of sea lice and didn't get it. Save your $$$. I did the horseback riding tour through our resort. Iberostar had someone pick us up and take us to El Cadrel. My husband and I were the only 2 on the excursian and had a wonderful time and learned things about cozumel from our guide. It was not a beach ride and not really a jungle either. However nice. Beautiful morning glories growing everywhere. You see the ruins in El Cadrel. Also an option of shopping which I brought no $$ and had to go back for soveneirs. The horses where very thin and sad looking not an american breed. I felt bad.

new mexico
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

I will tell you the same thing as everyone else that ATMs are your best option they will give you the best rate and they don't even charge as much as they do in the states so they are the best option that you'll get.

For a jungle horseback ride I would recommend Wild Tours and you can look it up on the internet and book directly through them. They will take you to a few different interesting sites in the jungle. Good fun. They have a really good tour I am not sure about all of the rest of the horseback riding tours. But I do recommend this tour. Happy travels!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

We primarily are cruisers but I have had repercusions from sea lice. Honestly, it was itchy but got through it just fine. I don't remember where I got it. I don't buy anything special "just in case". If it happens again, it happens again.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Few First-Timer Questions

last time i saw any lice they were in the mall of america...lol,,,,sorry,,dont know,,but thankyou for bringing this to my attention,,just something else to worry about while im sitting on my skinny horse at the local ATM.........LOL.as far as i know,,the last place i stayed at wasnt..lets say,,,5 star,,,and after having a few dinner buffets where my entree was wearing a bridle,,,tend to stay away from dinners that locals keep calling TRIGGER.....