We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

looking to go in may. with kids 5 and 7 years old.

i have heard that this is on the better beaches of cozumel.. is this true?

how is the pool for the kids?

most important..how is the food service ..ive been to allinc before some good some horrible..thoughts on this

if there is a better all inc. please letme know.. nice beach is important

thanks in advance for help

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

You should check their website and the hotel reviews.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

The Hotel reviews are listed on the left side of this page titled:Deals on Cozumel Hotels..Also you can type Occidental Grand in the search box at the top of this page..You will see that the Grand is a great choice....

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with the Grand. We were there in 2005 and will be there again this month. Things can change, but we've always been pleased with the Occidental chain, and especially the Grand in Cozumel.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

I was there for a "girls" (it's in quotes because none of us girls were under 40) trip in May 2005 and thought it was lovely. The rooms (and I had a run of the house) were beautiful. The pools were great. If memory serves, there was an adult/quiet pool that was sort of in the jungle and an activities pool that was right on the beach. There wasn't a swim up bar but there was a beach buffet (with a full service bar)just a very short walk from the pool and beach and they even wheeled up a little portable bar with limited selections right at poolside. The snorkeling off the beach was nice too.

The restaurants were perfectly fine...not superb...but exactly in line with a better AI. I didn't see any of the shows because we went into town almost every night after dinner. Although, one night we hung out in the disco on site and it was pretty lively (although that may have had to do with the group of drunken 40 year-old women I was with :o)

The only complaint I heared from the group was that the house wine was swill...but I'm not a wine drinker so it didn't bother me.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

Uhhh...I meant heard...not heared :o)

boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

thanks..looked at the reviews such a mixed bag.

some say food sucked others said happy

the travel rep said it is the best beach area on the island...a review said it was a very thin beach

any one been there recently?

thanks all for the help

North York Ontario
Level Contributor
698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

Nice Resort, Food does suck, however its one of the better AI'S in Cozumel. Read my review.

North York Ontario
Level Contributor
698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

any questions just ask?

boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

is there a better option for food for an all inc?

and how is the beach on that side of the island

thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: has any one stayed at the occidental grand? please respond

We were at Iberostar just over a week ago which is the resort next to the Grand. Iberostar had excellent staff, great food - best buffet options we've ever had, small but comfortable rooms with a mini fridge and a nice sandy beach with lot's of shade if you wanted. Issue though is with the swimming area - hurricane stripped the sand in the swimming area so you need water shoes or to access from the pier. Roped off swimming area was fairly shallow as well. Pool areas were great though.

We walked down to the Grand along the beach. Beach did not seem "thin", was rather nice. Their swimming area was nicer than the Iberostar as it was sandy for the most part. If I recall, there wasn't as much natural shade on their beach.