We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
765 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Still can't decide between these 2 beaches. We usually do a bit of snorkeling so Uvas would be better but the beach is only sandy until the water. Do I need to wear aqua shoes? Nachi Cocom's beach looks so nice but I heard there is no shore snorkeling there. Any advice?Last time we did Chankanaab and as much as we liked it wanted to try something new. Thanks~

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Dzul-Ha

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Nachi-Cocom will likely be a bit more crowded, and is more kid friendly as far as water toys, etc. Water shoes are always a good idea, but you can also back into the water with fins on if you don't have water shoes. Dan's recommendation, Dzul-Ha, is now called 'Money Bar' (the new owner is adorning the bar with lots of international currency), and it is no longer the little bohemian joint that it once was. For a beach and snorkeling, I recommend Palancar Beach club, with a boat trip out to the reef.

-Tom

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

As of this week the beach at Palancar is very narrow and would not be my first choice. Mr Sanchos is better and they do offer (on signs anyway) snorkel trips). Mr Sanchos can get a lot of cruise ship folks (really only one day of four this past week).

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

CP-

Thanks for the update. I would still choose Palancar because of the lack of crowds and proximity to the reef, but you are right, the beach there can be pretty narrow. Sometimes there is even a small 'shelf' near the water's edge.

-Tom

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Sancho's has the better beach, but as mentioned it will be more crowded.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

We were at the Money Bar yesterday, not crowded at all. There are many boats farther out that drop visitors off. There are not the fish like before the hurricane, all sand bottom, even farther out. Showers, nice bathrooms, lounge chairs and better food. A good place to spend the day. We want to try Nachi Cocom this week. Will let ya all know...........Adios to all, Donna

chicago
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Very jealous that you are there now, Cutie. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts about Nachi Cocum as I have just booked the day there during our stay in May.

Would like to ask everyone where a good place to see the sunset would be. Have hubby and 2 kids. Looking for a kid friendly place we can chill out with some beverages and watch the sunset over the water then walk into town for some shopping.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Here is Playa Palancar a few days ago:

http://tinyurl.com/2ru4tb

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
765 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Thanks everyone thus far! My hubby still wants to try Playa Uvas...someone at work told him it was good snorkeling and not too far from ship. How far is Palancar (sp?)from the ships?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocom

Tom,

Say it aint so....The Money Bar.....Cant just wade in to the reef from shore anymore?...I need to get out more often. Im sure there is a cost of some sort.....Soo bummed....