We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More questions about Occidental Grand?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
More questions about Occidental Grand?

I have received responses that the food is decent, also wondering about the drinks? Watered down? Any top shelf?? And if the Royal Club is worth it? When I look at booking online, I don't see Royal Club,just concierge.

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

The drinks are made however you ask for them, if you ask for top shelf, they might have it or be "out of it", no guarantees. I ask for "dobles"(pronounced DOE-blays) when I order, so they know to make them stronger. Tipping helps, too. We were bumped up to a concierge room last time, but I wouldn't pay for it. Mo

Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

Can't comment on the Royal Club. The alcohol selection is pretty lousy...if you go by what is showing. They DO have top shelf, but it is "top shelf - under the bar". I drink tequila (shots, rocks, etc.) so I never have anything to get watered down. Wifey says the 'ritas were awesome.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

I honestly think EVERY all inclusive, high to low end, uses watered down booze...even top shelf.

If I drank 10 Bacardi double pina coladas back home, I'd be under the table. But at this and other very nice resorts, I just get a little buzzed. And I watch them virtually fill the glass with Bacardi Rum! Once they even cracked open a new bottle in front of me!

For their sake, I'm sure they don't want a bunch of stumbling boozers throwing up all over the resort, so they use less potent stuff. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

So go ahead & call your drink with the brand name if you don't want the weak rail stuff.

Also, try the local liquor after dinner...Xtabentun. Kind of like Amaretto. Nice straight up or on the rocks. I won a bottle at the disco. Solo dance contest, what else!

Bye,

SeaBass

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

Thanks everybody. I don't think I will do the concierge room then, honestly don't spend a whole lot of time in a room. I think I agree with the comment about all resorts having somewhat waterd down drinks, as I have never been sick on vacation, even drinking a lot, but have been hurting bad back here in the states.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

And I always tip too. Most of these people work hard and don't make a whole lot of money and rely on tips

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

I tip for really good service. $5. to my waitor at each meal, $5 to the maid, $1. if I get timely drink service at the beach. The poor fellow who takes my luggage up 3 flights of stairs gets a tip.

One thing about the Grand. They make them pool tips

at the restaraunts. The tip I give is met for that one special person who gave me great service. I fold the bill real small and make sure they get it on the sly so they can keep it. I do after 3 times have my favorites and a couple not-so-favorites.

I will let you know if the Royal Club is worth it.

We upgraded thru the resort this time.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

I have done both regular rooms and Royal Club..I would have to say,it is not worth it..The rooms are the same..The food is better,but a small and repetetive menu..Private pool is actually an oversize hot tub...As far as privacy,the Resort is spread out and you will have privacy anywhere...Drinks are very good..The lobby bar has the best bartender..Tip him,hang out,and he will take care of you....As in any bar,if you are worried about a watered down drink,get it straight up with a back and mix your own(this does not work well with blended drinks).....It seems to me,the best use of the Royal Club would be for a wedding party.....

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

We just got back last night after a week at the Royal Club.

I think the best thing about the Royal Club for us was that we had a suite so our 9-year-old could sleep on a cot in the sitting room area rather than in our room. (The two rooms were huge.)

The Royal Club also includes room service, which is nice if you use it (we didn't use it, but family with us did). The room service menu is the breakfast and lunch menu from the Royal Club restaurant.

The Royal Club also has two computers with free internet access, I think in the main building you had to pay for an internet access card. (The access was VERY slow.)

You get unlimited reservations at the specialty restaurants THEORETICALLY with the Royal Club (instead of it being limited by the number of nights you stay), but we didn't try to book all our dinners right away and had a hard time getting anything, even in the Royal Club restaurant, and what we did get was at 6:30 or at 9:00 (first or last seating). Of course, it was Easter Week and pretty full the first few days.

Guests of the regular rooms seemed to have a towel card that they used to get beach towels. We just had towels in our rooms and then picked up whatever we wanted at the beach. I really didn't get the system, didn't even know anyone else had towel cards until I saw someone drop one.

The Royal Club is ideally located, pretty much the midpoing of the resort, but that isn't a reason to pay extra. The resort is very small.

About the drinks, thank goodness they were watered down. Who cares what level of alcohol in a Pina Colada, but there were folks drinking from 10 am, didn't want them falling in the pool. For those who drink just straight or on the rocks, just ask and see if they have what you want. And the Xtabentun is NOT watered down!

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

Thanks yuctrippin. This is our first time doing the Royal Club.

You have to make reservations for the Royal Club for dinner? How about lunch? All your reservations can be made the same day for the speciality restaraunts? Thanks for the information.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More questions about Occidental Grand?

In the past two years I have avoided the conserge

person in our building because I thought they were part of the timeshare club. I see Royal club has its own. Are they part of the timeshare crew?