We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

On April 1, I presented a two-patient hyperbaric oxygen treatment system to Arturo Villanueva, director of the General Hospital, and Manuel Gomez, treasurer of its patronage. Bill Horn accompanied me as my host and translator. Dr. Dario Gomez of DAN and the hospital's hyperbaric technician, Gabriel, were also at the event, which was well-covered by local TV, radio and newspapers. As I'd hoped, the reports gave credit for this gift to both vacationers and Americans residing in Coz.

The gift was received with much excitement. Dr. Villanueva reiterated his promise to treat the infant Gibran at no charge as his case initiated this benefit. He further explained that the chamber is in constant use to treat fisherman, firemen, diabetic patients and others and our donation will allow them to treat an additional four patients each day. Dario Gomez described the potential benefits of hyperbaric oxygen for patients with cerebral palsy and other brain disorders.

Senor Manuel Gomez told me that the hospital is hosting an international conference on hyperbaric medicine in May and may now include its experience with infants and other hood patients -- granted that experience will be somewhat limited -- and they will definitely show the attendees this equipment!

I also spent some time with the baby. He looks very good, has a hearty appetite and is very playful. But he has severe problems moving his right arm and right leg and he has some facial paralysis. The family says that these issues have improved since the hyperbaric treatments began and they are optimistic about continuing treatment. His doctors now say that Gibran will need another five months of treatment, so our decision to fund the equipment instead of donating funds to pay medical bills was very wise.

The final cost for the equipment, including freight from California, was approximately $2550. We raised almost $1700 and I am still working to raise the balance.

We provided a wonderful service for the people of Cozumel. Thank you all for your participation.

Deb in NY

Help us Help the Cozumel Red Cross!

www.cruzrojacozumel.org/enhome.html

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Deb, thanks for the update, I really appreciate your work on this and thank each & every member who contributed. Thanks Larry.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Ditto from me. It's great to see the support this site produced. BTW, Wait 'til you see this bag full of supplies I'm muling down Saturday :) Watch out Antonio, here we come!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Deb~

Thank you so much for keeping us informed. I'm so happy to hear that Gibran is improving with his treatments and that others are also benefiting from the equipment.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Kudos to ckmcolorado and his friends Nancy and Randy. Together, they're carrying in almost a month's worth of supplies for the Red Cross. Unbelievable, very generous, fantastic!

Antonio - Thanks in advance. - D.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Great work, Deb! I know your work never stops. Thanks for your update.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

All friends and TA users, this is a very worthy cause and Deb needs a little help. I urge you to send what you can. I hope I never need their services,,,,but if I do, they will respond. Deb, I THANK YOU !!!!!!

Claude & Kathy Dill

Concord, NC. USA

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Bump!

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

I had a visit from one of the grandfathers of this youngster.

The visit was to personally thank me for a donation; something they are earnestly trying to do with everyone who made a donation either in person or via email. Very heartening; but the really up-side is he told me that the treatments make an astonishingly big difference in this child’s fight to recover.

I just wanted everyone to know that Deb's efforts are real, they deliver truly meaningful results and she deserves a standing ovation: Those who assist her, please take a bow also.

The granddaddy tells me it was entirely an American community project for which he and the whole family will be forever grateful.

I was a little embarrassed, but humbly proud of “all of us”.

This is a meaningful way to reach out to the community.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

Thanks for that info. I think we are all proud of Deb and we wish the family all the best. What is sad it knowing there are many others children and families that are never helped. But we know we can do what we can for this one family and that precious little boy. You guys know I'm a grandmother of 2 boys and they are my "heart". Oh my gosh! Don't anyone be calling me "granny". I'm Meme

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Report on Our Donation to Cozumel's Hospital General

The fund raising is complete! A personal friend closed the gap in one big check. I hope I can convince him to visit Cozumel now!

The baby's been going to the hospital for treatment and things are going very, very well. How cool is that?!