We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

same treatment??

houston
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
same treatment??

my hubby and i are both hispanic, my hubby constantly gets mistaken for some gangster just cuz of his bald head and his build. my point is...we were in cancun in 05 and here in TA forums everyone was always like "ppl in cancun are soo nice and helpful, nothing but good service" and things of that nature. well much to our surprise we were not treated with the niceness that so many talked about. we definitely noticed a difference. and we are good tippers and we still were treated with this type of 'reverse discrimination'. so my question is, should i expect the same thing in cozumel? we're going in july and just want to be prepared for everything.

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: same treatment??

Our group (2 "whites", 1 that is 1/2 "Spanish" and 1 "dark") have always traveled together (family) over Mexico for 6 years and have had great reception. This year in Cozumel June 8-15----will let you know.

new mexico
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: same treatment??

Cozumel people are very different and very nice. They love us tourists! So good luck!

Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: same treatment??

Maybe because you guys are Hispanic you were taken for locals which are known for not spending a lot of cash. Likewise for most other nationalities. American tourists (which are mostly white) are known for spending a lot of money so they get pampered a lot.

I know to some that may sound racist, but I do not mean it to be. I live here and am Anglo and 99% of my friends and associates are local non-American. It's just I've been here a long time and that is just how things kind of work in general. I do think in general that Cozumel is a much more friendly place to everyone.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: same treatment??

Hmm,

Why not run a test? Pretend you do not speak Spanish and conduct yourselves in English? When Spanish is spoken to you - just say 'no hablo Espanol' with a broken Spanish accent.

He might try putting on a Houston Astro's baseball cap as I'm sure he would want to protect his scalp and it would make him less intimidating (assuming he is).

Does he have a lot of tattoos?

-FoF

houston
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: same treatment??

i can understand being mistaken for a local when around town but not when eating at the hotel with the other guests and lounging around the hotel.

he has 2 tattoos and neither one is gang related or intimidating. a hat just makes him look suspicious in my opinion.

i know we'll have a good time, i just wanted to see if others had similar experiences.

houston
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: same treatment??

just wanted to bump this up to see if there were any new experiences.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: same treatment??

We were there last month and noticed that a lot of Hispanic couples and families were vacationing there, and we didn't see them being treated any differently at the restaurants, bars, beach clubs,etc. Some we spoke to were from elsewhere in Mexico or from South America. Please report back on your experiences when you return.

Montana
Level Contributor
652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: same treatment??

Ditto. When we were at the Iberostar in December there were more hispanic guests than on our previous two visits. From what I noticed, the majority of them were from the US whereas in the past the hispanics we met there were mostly from Mexico and even Spain (I guess that would make them European?).

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: same treatment??

Were in Cozumel June 8-15 with our 4 (2 whites, one black and one 1/2 Spanish) and the only problem was when the waiters, staff, etc would talk to my sister-in-law in Spanish, she would get enbarassed as she speaks NO Spanish, but as far as treatment, we were all treated equally and had a wonderful time.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: same treatment??

Double Ditto. On our visit two weeks ago, we also noticed a lot more Hispanic families vacationing. No idea where they were from, but they sure did not appear to be treated any differently.