We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Burnham-on-Crouch
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Does anyone out there have experience of taking precription medicines into Mexico? Or getting medical consent letters trtanslated into Spanish?

I've contacted the Mexican Embassy here in the UK to ask whether the doctor's letter had to be in Spanish and this is what they replied:

"Bringing medicaments into Mexico for personal use only.

Foreign nationals under medical treatment of controlled narcotic and psychotropic drugs in form of medicaments -when they enter Mexico- must declare it to the customs authorities and present a medical prescription or a licence issued by competent authority. The former must state bars code, name of the doctor authorizing the prescription, his signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional register. The medical prescription or licence must also state amount of the substance required by the patient during her or his stay in Mexico, the amount bringing into the country and the daily dose. The medicaments must not exceed of the amount required for a period of 30 days. The prescription must be translated into Spanish.

Please be aware that in order that you can export medicaments for personal use from the United Kingdom, you might need a personal export licence. For more information visit the website of the Drugs Licensing and Enforcement Unit.

drugs.homeoffice.gob.uk "

Trouble is I can't find the information on the Home Office site. If anyone reading this can help please let me know. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mr. Sancho's Beach Club All-Inclusive...
453 Reviews
US$50 per adult
Free Cancellation
Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park...
125 Reviews
US$30 per adult
Free Cancellation
Private Jeep Excursion in Cozumel...
263 Reviews
US$78 per adult
Free Cancellation
Burnham-on-Crouch
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Update: I've phoned the Home Office who do not require you to have a personal export license unless you are going for over 3 months. If you need medical translations the Spanish Embassy has a translations section ( ext. 92) which apparently has a list of people you can use for official translations.

I don't know what counts as a conrolled narcotic or psychotropic drug but as my daughter has to give herself a heparin injection (an anticoagulant) just before the flight home it could look suspicious if not properly explained and certificated. If anyone can advise pleae let me know. Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

To be safe, I would just have a letter from your doctor explaining that this medicine (give name of medicine and patients name) needs to be taken prior to flight. Also, the medicine needs to be labeled with a name that matches the letter, passport, and plane ticket. This should cover all the bases.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Hi Juliesmum, hace you tried speaking to First Choice about it? They may have some experiece with it happening before and be able to advise you?

Controlled narcotics and psychotropics are used for treatment of Psychiatric Disorders and Mental Illnesses.

To be honest I have to take all my weird and wonderful head pills on holiday with me and although I keep a copy of a doctors letter and copy of my perscriptions, I never bother to declare them. But then again. Boxes don't look as suspect as needles.

All I can really find on it is this:

…timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article2950232.ece

although that doesn't mention customs.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

oh my

did not know all of this, i have taken prescription drugs (in the container provided at drug store) in to Mexico all 13 times I have been there. I don't try to hide them, I keep them in my purse or my carry on and are x-rayed at security and no one has ever said a word. I did not have more than I needed nor did I have needles. That might have been an issue. I have not had any trouble taking them out either in small quantities. (purchased in mexico). Any one else here have trouble?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Burnham-on-Crouch
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Thanks for all this advice, it's really helpful. It's only anticoagulant but it's the needle that might arouse suspicion!

I'll follow this up as you both suggest, many thanks.

Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Will they let you on a flight with a pre-loaded syringe?

Burnham-on-Crouch
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

I don't know. I'll ring FC - this must be common for some diabetics so they must know...

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

The problem is not getting the syringes into Mexico -- it's getting them past airport security at departure if the syringes are packed in carry-on. You should contact the home airport to find out what documentation and pre-advice they require.

Please send me your email address, let me know exactly how many syringes, size, contents & the solution you are taking and I'll email back a customs doc for Mexico. If they're preloaded B-D's you can just give me the product number and I'll look it up.

My email address is cozredcross@earthlink.net

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Burnham-on-Crouch
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

Many thanks ds2 I'll check all that and e-mail you - that's so helpful!

Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking prescription medicines into Mexico

DS2 that is what I was getting at about the syringes. With it stowed in check-in probably not a problem, but in your carry on kit...? I would for sure check with the airline and also would have a note from your doctor even if the airline says it is ok because airport security can be iffy. Once you get here it is doubtful that you would have a problem.

Must be a little worrisome. Good luck!