We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antonio.. Where are you?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Antonio.. Where are you?

Antonio, I am wanting your feedback on Hurricane Emily. I need your straight forward advice/ opinions. Keep us posted. We need a local with a little sense to advise us. Help

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

This is a tough one to answer, as far as my advise being used to decide weather to make the trip or not. I know from reading comments about it that many people would not be able to reschedule or receive a refund if they chose not to come. So I really would not like to even attempt that one. I can tell you we are looking closely at Emily here, and that many are already making preparations, many of the larger boats are leaving today and tomorrow to go to the safe harbors in Puerto Aventuras and Isla Mujeres. I expect to see wood boards go up all over the place in the next day or so. If Emily followed the projected path and came directly over Cozumel as a 3-5 hurricane, it isn't going to be fun to be here. There is a big if though, as these things often change directions and rarely follow their "exact" projected paths. Cozumel hasn't been hit in almost 10 years, and some say we are due. I have never been here during a hurricane, and want to believe that it will turn at the last minute, justlike they have for the last 6 years since I have been back. It's too early to tell right now. Saturday morning we will have a better idea. I'm sorry if this isn't much help.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

Antonio, I fully agree that you should not in any way have to make that big a decision for others. Weather does what it wants when it wants, and everybody else tries to predict. Major weather events are far to unpredictable to expect someone to accurately predict who is not even in the weather prediction business. If NOAA doesn't know what it will do or who it will impact the worst, then Antonio's only choice is to prepare his home and work area for what could happen, and we can all hope it turns out as unnecessary. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

FYI- I wasn't asking for you to make my decision as Cic. implied... just wanted your imput as asked... and as received. Appriciate it. Probably should have just emailed you. None the less...updates as you have them will be appreciated. I think everyone knows that posts are opinions.

Be safe and head inland if needed!!!!

I appreciate your courtesy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

ABMOM, my comment was not at you, it was to lighten the load that being a regular here could add to such a personal opinion as it could to Antonio. If a huricane of much magnitude were to hit our beloved Cozumel it would definately impact things we now expect on our brief visits, so I can only imagine the level of concern to the residents. With the highest point being a gigantic 44 feet above sea level ( between the area where the Park Royal is and the international pier) one can really appreciate that any strong storm surge could really destroy a lot of Cozumel, not to mention what strong winds could do. It has been many years since I have been in the path of a hurricane, but as a child I lived in Nova Scotia and we suffered a few, including one while on a camping trip. In those days they told you it was going to happen after the fact, as radio, TV and forecasting were not what they are today. I sure wouldn't want people out there to expect Antonio to be the person they based their choice of "do we go or do we cancel" on, it is way too big a thing for him to be expected to answer. Hopefully nothing serious will happen, and after it is all over people like Antonio, Dan Kom, and Tom will have the time to let us all know how much impact the storm had to the island, if any.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

As was said, it is really too soon at this point to know what will happen. Hurricanes can often change course at the last minute. This is what happen when Mitch in 97 was coming this way and less than 50 miles away headed south and caused major destruction in Honduras. We had a close scrape with Ivan last year, but fortunately we only got the outer bands. The island is much more prepared for it than it was back in 1988 when I was here for Hurricane Gilbert and there was complete chaos. All of the hotel owners met the other day for an emergency prepardness meeting. I am confident that if it does come this way, we will be ready and things will be back to normal in a short period. Hurricanes are just a normal part of life in the carribean.

tom@hotelflamingo.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

A little update: the projected path of Emily has veered just north of Cozumel, and it has apparently lost some strength, it had reached Cat. 4, and the latest from the NHC has it down to a Cat. 2, although they expect it to strengthen again. This change in strength is a good sign as the storm is a little disorganized, and moving a little to the north of us here in Cozumel. Although as Cicopo stated I'm not in the business of forecasting weather, my business is weather related, and I have been watching weather patterns for many years, at the hotel I often get calls from managment regarding probable rain, etc. as they know that I constantly monitor the latest satellite pictures. The most recent updates on Emily are good news for Cozumel, and although we aren't out of the woods just yet, it seems we could once again get lucky. I would ask anyone who can to send prayers our way, and may Emily not cause anyone harm. I'll try to keep e1 posted on any updates.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

Disheartening news, after a slight woble and loss of strength, Emily is re-organized and once again a Cat.4 hurricane, and once again predicted to come right over Cozumel Sunday night. It's not looking good folks. I'm am going out on a limb here, and suggest to anyone about to fly down here, to give it some serious thought, and try to re-schedule if possible. If a Cat 4-5 hits head on, it's not going to be fun here. Last time that happened in '88 they were cleaning refrigerators and furniture off the reefs for weeks.....

Please pray for Cozumel's safety......

Poconos...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We were in Mexico many, many moons ago when a hurricane hit and lots of people were moved across Mexico into our resort. Very terrifying for them. The locals had it so much worse. Tear your heart out to see the impact on the native families. God Bless.

NV, U.S.
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

Just came back today from Cozumel after 7 nights stay there as planned. Our flight (continental) was supposed to leave Cozumel for Houston at 3:15p.m. but got delayed for like 3 hours due to bad weather in Texas. The weather did not seem too bad until we left and it did not rain either. However, everyone seemed to be concered about the hurricane and we sincerely hope that it does not attack the beautiful island, GOD bless.

Charlottesville, Va
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antonio.. Where are you?

Antonio:

Are you being asked to evavulate yet?

Be safe!!!