We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

My wife and I have been to Coz many times in the past staying in hotels (Fiesta Americana, La Ceiba, Casa Del Mar, and others) as well as homes and condos, but now we have a little kiddo who will be about 14 months when we travel in September. We are considering a larger hotel/resort for this trip but we don't know what advantage one hotel has over another when catering to couples with small children. Do they have babysitters on staff who can keep an eye on the kiddo for a couple of hours while mom and dad have a lunch or go to town for drinks? Do they have Daycare? Don't get me wrong I am not looking to park my kid somewhere for the duration of the trip but a little time with the wife would be nice. We will be there for about a week.

Would you please share your experience taking a small child to Coz?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
921 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

When you do it let me know as I am taking my daughter down there in November, a few days short of her first birthday. I am worried about making it there on the plane without irritating a lot of fellow passengers.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

Who cares if you bother anyone on the plane. We've all been on plane rides with screaming children. A few years ago we flew somewhere with my 1 year old neice. She screamed the entire 4 hour flight. It was delightful.

This spring we made a trip to Cozumel with our 18 month old grandson. We stayed at the Cozumel Palace. it is a lovely hotel but not exactly small child friendly. They have high chairs, provide cribs, have a kiddee pool, and have a great selection of child friendly food. One big problem is that the rooms are one big room so the little fellow could see his parents at night. No one got much sleep. They don't provide baby sitting for small children either. We got quite a few "stares" in the dining room when things got a little messy at mealtime.

If you have a condo or house with cooking facilities that would be great. If not an All Inclusive is a must. No 1 year old will sit too long waiting in a restaurant for a meal to be prepared and served.

I'm sure there are more family oriented resorts on Coz that provide babysitting for small kids. The one we stayed in did not. Check with the hotel directly before you reserve.

3. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2008, 22:02
a fly over state
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

Amen Poncho's wife! I thought the same thing when reading Soho's reply. To have a child scream non-stop on a flight is beyond rude to the other passengers not to mention outright cruel towards the child.

I know this is editorializing but I cannot for the life of me understand this trend of traveling with children long distances under the age of 3. You are exposing a child to Dengue Fever, Malaira, Hep A etc. Nobody knows the effects of DEET on those age groups. I see so many stressed out parents with miserable children on these vacations. That is one of the reasons I stay FAR away from AI's. Certainly there is a grandparent who will get great pleasure with this kid while securing a safe and healthy environment.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

I have said this before- my first choice would be either leave the child at home with a trusted family member or friend you can trust or pay their way there to babysit.

If you are willing to leave your child with a total stranger in a foreign country, I am sure someone can pitch in. Contact the resort of your choice and ask them.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

I'm not sure if any of you have traveled with small children before. It's difficult to say the least. Air pressure changes hurt childrens ears while flying. Sometimes a child can't be consoled in a situation like that. To assume that we did nothing to remedy this situation is beyond rude.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

When I said the flight was "delightful" I was trying to be funny. The flight was a nightmare to say the least. My neice was 18 months old. Did any of you ever tell an 18 month old to "HUSH"? It's not effective.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

soho - I'm sure you wanted to crawl into cargo!

expat seems to be familiar with Coz and is lucky to live nearby in TX so the flight time is pretty short. If they want to travel with the baby, that's not our business -- it's their decision. I don't really know the AI's but do know that some of the locally-owned hotels (for example, any in the Casa Mexicana chain) can arrange babysitting with advance notice. And I don't feel that there's much risk leaving a baby with "a stranger" in Cozumel, especially one who is furnished by the hotel if management vouches for that person.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

Soho~

I didn't assume you did nothing...I said meaning in a general sense "if you're the type". And I continued on with a personal experience in which this was the case w/the parents and stated that their children were old enough to understand "HUSH" and realize that it is rude to kick someone's seat non-stop.

I apologize if you felt I meant you personally didn't do anything to change the situation. I'm sure you probably did.

PS...It seems I wasn't the only one that overlooked your humor in your post. Again, sorry.

LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone with experience taking a 1yr old child to Coz?

Without body language, attempts at humor are not always apparent in written replies. Soho did appear to be a complete jerk in the first post.