We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

I've read so many messages about the great lobster at Alberto's and elsewhere. My parents were from New England and I've grown up eating New England cold water lobster. Yumo! On a recent trip to the Dominican we we served Caribbean lobster. We weren't impressed with it. Is has a much different texture and isn't as sweet, in my opinion. Is this the same lobster that you would find in Cozumel?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Claro, we are headed to NE in Sept and plan to eat lobster at least twice a day!

M

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Yes. The cold-water New England lobsters have a more subtle flavor and, to me at least, are more tender.

BUT...

I really do enjoy the spiny lobsters served in the Caribbean. Don't expect the same flavor and texture that you find in the northern lobsters. Do expect a flavorful delicious lobster cooked in the Mexican Caribbean style.

You don't really go that far south and expect the same flavors that you find in the Keystone state do you?????

Expect differences and you'll be surprised how much you really do enjoy the different flavors...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Good, yes but from what we found, incredibly expensive.

We spent a really great night at Alberto's restaurant on the beach.

They brought out lobsters for us to choose.

The small one was $45, the medium was $75 and the large one was $150! All in U.S. funds! (For sure the $150 one was huge - my guess would be 4-5 lbs max)

I chose the $75 one (I've never paid that much for a lobster in my life) and while it was absolutely delectable, I do prefer the lobsters we get from maritime Canada.

I would be interested in feedback on the pricing from any Coz residents. Did we get the 'special' tourist rate and if so, to advise those going to Alberto's and other similar places.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Personally, I don't care for the warm water lobster of the Caribbean. However, I think I am in the minority because people sure do line up for it. ( I think I am spoiled living in New England ).

LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

There is simply no comparison between New England lobster and Caribbean lobster...and you will pay at least twice the price in Cozumel compared to New England or maritime Canada. I guess it just depends on what you're used to and how money you have to throw around. No thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Go to Chen Rio on the east coast. $50.00 lobster platter for 2 and it was huge and very good. It included 5 lobster tails, rice, rolls, fries and chips and salsa, and a great beach.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

First, I often go with my Mexican friends to Chen Rio on Sundays for the lobster platter. In my opinion, the best. I do, however prefer a good Maine lobster most any day!

The Albertos prices are ridiculous! Strictly tourist prices--I think thats why my Mexican friends dont ever think about Albertos but always go to Chen Rio. Only tourists will pay those prices, I think.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Ditto Robert-----I can't even fathom that people actually have that much money to spend on lobster at Alberto's...$150????????..it had BETTER be good at those prices which are insane......I also know no locals who go there which speaks volumes.....Betsy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Follow the locals, they usually know the best places. I too like cold water lobster better. Getting a lobster in Coz was not a priority for us when we went there so the platter at Chen Rio blew me away. We were there on a Sunday and we were one of the few tourists there, which was fine with me.

Brian

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lobster in Mexico, is it good???

Last month we paid $37 per lobster tail at Alberto's and each one was plenty for each of us, we probably couldn't have handled bigger ones. Maybe we were just lucky. Chen Rio was also good.