We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
las vegas
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Going to Occidental Grand Cozumel in October for anniversary. First time to Cozumel, we usually go to Jamaica. What can we expect of this resort. We are normally Sandals repeaters. Just looking for a new adventure in Scuba diving and Cozumel seemed to be such a good deal according to our travel agent. What is weather like there in October? Any comments on this hotel? I have been reading several reviews and it does not look good. Never been drift diving before but read that the only diving there is drifing, so getting a little nervous all the way around here. Most revies I read said need bug repellant, any thoughts? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

We have been to Cozumel many times. I just love the island!

We stayed at the Occidental several years ago. It is a really pretty hotel, beautiful grounds. The only major complaint I had was the humidity and musty smell in the room. the resort food was also lacking.

Granted, it has been a few years since we've visited, but these are some of my opinions. Rent a car and enjoy the island. It is safe and the beaches on the backside are great, nice and secluded, very pretty. Park Punta Sur is very nice, lots of crocodiles. There are some Mayan ruins scattered al over the island.

The main drag in San Christopher is fun to walk around at night after dinner.

We are avid snorkelers, don't know a thing about diving. Cozumel is famous for its fantastic diving.

Have fun!

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

We've been to the Grand several times in the past 3 years, don't know for sure what you've read, but it is a lovely place. Not a party place, but a nice quiet getaway-type resort, we loved the peacefulness there. October is still hurricane season, chance of rain like always. It rained almost every day our last Oct trip, but not all day, didn't spoil our trip at all.

Drift diving is AWESOME! Just jump in & get carried along with the current, no effort needed (except for staying down for the safety-stop, who wants to ascend?) Nothing to be nervous about unless you find a spot with SERIOUS current that can whip you away!

Yep, bug repellent is a MUST!!! Get the stuff hunters use with lots of DEET.(probably @ walmart) Good stuff!

San Miguel is the name of the town, lots of touristy shops near the dock, but plenty of local flavor back a few blocks, and if you rent a car & drive around the island, the East Side has plenty to explore. Have a great trip, Mo

las vegas
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Thank you for easing my fears

las vegas
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Is San Miguel the city where Occidental Grand is located? If not is it close to San Miguel. I read there are activites to see there on a Sunday evening.

Thanks

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

The Grand is about 20 minutes south of San Miguel by taxi, not really near anything except Alberto's & a few other resorts. Sunday evening in town is when the locals gather for music & socializing, I hear it's worth the trip. Do a Google image search for Cozumel maps, you'll find lots of them to get you familiar with the layout of the island, there are a few that have been recommended on this site that are worth ordering, type "maps" in the search bar here & you'll probably find the best ones. Mo

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

oops, I meant San Miguel! Sorry!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Just wanted to pop in and tell you that Mo calmed my fears before my first trip to the Grand. Believe me, she knows what she is talking about! The Grand is very nice and we weren't disappointed in the least. Once again, thanks Mo!

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

Red, glad to share anything I know about the Island I've come to love, that's what this site is all about!

9. Re: Occidental Grand Cozumel questions please/1st timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 15:19