We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New tourist advisory service

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,471 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New tourist advisory service

You may see pairs of folks in the garb shown in the pic below in the main downtown area:

http://tinyurl.com/5vasq2

Two weeks ago they started providing service to tourists. They are NOT the same as the timeshare sharks in the airport.

The writing on the back of the shirt says "Tourist Security" which is confusing.

I believe that they are affiliated with the Tourism Board but may be mistaken. Actually it is Grupo Elite De Seguridad Turistica (G.E.S.T)

So if you are walking around and want to know where to find something, and no white-legged guy in knee-high black socks is around, ask these folks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New tourist advisory service

Just had an encounter with two of these GEST people when a friend stopped them to ask them a question. They really werent very helpful but they did like to talk! Not sure who these people are or where they got them but their knowledge was limited. I knew more than them, and I wasnt wearing knee high black socks, fortunately.

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New tourist advisory service

knee high black socks? with sandals? it takes a real man to pull off that look :-)

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New tourist advisory service

Yeah----you'd think!....hahha.........Betsy

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
696 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New tourist advisory service

The guy on the left looks like he used to work for Royal Holiday. I swear he is the same guy that was SOO annoying. He used to stand outside Park Royal down the street from Ernestos...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New tourist advisory service

I wouldnt doubt you are correct, jgr. Something not quite right about these people, not really sure they are anything official. They were very pushy with my friend, wanting to write down all kinds of personal information that they had no reason to need.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New tourist advisory service

They sound like market survey people.

As far as the black socks with sandals look....it's not a pretty sight.

http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Sock.jpg

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New tourist advisory service

Try this link instead.

http://tinyurl.com/6dd65r

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New tourist advisory service

Sorry you had to post that, cozbobby. Not a pretty sight to see early in the morning!

I talked to a friend who is a tour guide and a lifelong Cozumel resident abou these new ¨Tourist Security¨people. He doesnt know who they are either but suspects they are part of some timeshare scam--he is sure they are not employed by local government since the english speaking tourist police are still in evidence. He has also had complaints of them trying to extract personal information from tourists. (when they approaced my guest, they wanted to write down her name, hotel and room number! She didnt give it to them!)

cozumel
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New tourist advisory service

hi folks we are part of the depertment of turism of cozumel and we provide information service to all the turist on the island, we glad to hear that finally you are talking about us, but you could ask the gentleman who took the picture if we were rude or pushy at any time....any how we put ourselves at your service at no charge....of course just if you happend to need us....by the way we help against the scam of the time share! and regarding the police that still on duty is to let you nkow that we are not a police officers , we just help out with the informacion that you may be needing and one more thing my name is gabriel and I had never work on time share or the park royal ...sorry . take care and be safe please !

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New tourist advisory service

Hello Gabriel. Neither you nor your partner, nor the others I chatted to were anything but cordial, friendly and helpful.

My point of this post was to let others know about your program and that by everything I have seen you are there to HELP tourists.