We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

I thought I was going to try scuba which is why I booked a week in Coz but I've changed my mind. So I'm wondering if there are other fun things to do while I'm there? I like to sail, snorkel, hike, jet ski, swim....pretty much any sport but diving. Which is disappointing to me - I thought I was fearless but after much research about diving (maybe too much on the dangers) I don't think I want to do it. I'm hoping I can still have a great time in Coz and not regret my decision to go there. Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

solo, when you go through immigration they check your C-card. If you do not have one they put you on a ferry to the mainland where you must stay.

Seriously, you may be reading too much. Have you tried an intro to scuba session (free) at a local dive shop? If you choose to not dive that is fine but many people have some concerns until they get some experience. I know that I did and I am wonderful and great at diving now.

omaha,ne
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

You will have a blast at El Coz,the snorkeling is great at the hotel. You can also book a boat trip for snorkeling right from the hotel dive shop.About 45.00 per person.There is jet ski rental at the hotel for 55.00 per 1/2 hr.Also have parasailing available,kayaks available and I'm not sure about sailing.Town is only a short 5.00 cab ride away where there are many people selling various day trips and water adventures.Also can rent a jeep or scooter from the hotel to do your own "exploring"

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

I think given the fact that you like so many other water sports you'll have a great time. We've been going for 15 yrs, hubby dives but I don't and I always look forward to the trip.

I didn't catch what hotel you're staying at but if you're staying at one on the water they'll have jet skiis, snorkel equip., kayaks, etc. to either use or rent. Rent a jeep or vw and visit the east side of the island. Stay away from the scooters and you'll have a fun trip.

Oshkosh
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

There are alot of tours, boat trips, ATV tour, rent a vehicle etc for doing the island thing. We dont dive either but love Coz, the shopping, the beaches, the snorkeling,the nightlife, there is always something to do.

You will have fun, our first trip there was overwhelming with what tours we should get in during our week stay, now when we go its more laid back simply because we like to get in the water and snorkel and just kind of hang out downtown and get in the tours that we havent done.

Once you get there you will have a better idea from your hotel what they offer and what things you would like to see and do.

Happy travels

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Solo, my wife and I don't dive, but thoroughly love snorkeling in Cozumel - 3-4 hours/day in the water. We just can't get enough!

We are in the process of planning our 2nd trip for March 2009. So much to do... And the food at local restaurants are excellent, too.

Have a blast!

MwM

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Oh, Solo...I went to Coz for years before I started diving snd always extended my trips because it was so nice being there. It's very relaxed and small -- easy to get around and do things (with or without a rental car), the level of service is high and almost everyone greet you with a smile on their face. And the water is fabulous -- blue and clear -- and accessible in so many locations!

As far as diving, I was very afraid -- thought it was a good way to die. But divers that I met (and my husband) kept telling me how safe and relaxing it is and not to worry. So I gave it a shot. Learning the basics was difficult because of my fear, but the instructor was patient and answered my every doubt -- which led to greater understanding and more peace of mind. Once I finally got under the ocean's surface, I was hooked by the first fish I saw and reeled in by the beauty and quiet. It's an incredible experience that you can't imagine and, with a patient instructor, Cozumel is one of the best places on earth to try it out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Solo,

I dive my wife doesnt and she wants to go back more than me if that is possible. Do all the things you mentioned they are all good there (Dont personally know about the hiking though).

Brian

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Solo,

I dive my wife doesnt and she wants to go back more than me if that is possible. Do all the things you mentioned they are all good there (Dont personally know about the hiking though).

Brian

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Solo,

YES...There are plenty of things to do above the water on and around Cozumel. There are miles of pristine beaches just waiting for you to experience their winds, sights, sounds and smells. There is of course the busy touristy shopping district. There are also the local neighborhoods to wander. You can go sailing, para-sailing, fishing, booze-cruising, zip-lining. SNORKELING...Did I mention WORLD CLASS SNORKELING???

Explore the local museum. Explore and take the Tequila Factory Tour. See the San Gervaisoo mayan ruins. Explore the hyperbaric chamber facilities. Do you like to ride horses? Do you Jet-ski?

On Sunday night you must go downtown and enjoy all the local bands and residents dancing. Now let's talk about food. I'm convinced you enjoy eating and there are many, many excellent choices on the island to sample different types and styles of cooking. You can have Yucatecan, Tex-Mex, real Mexican, Italian, American(unfortunately its available too...). You are on an island so guess what: there are some restaurants located on beaches that serve the freshest seafood you can get(caught that day).

Do you like to dance/drink??? Carlos N Charlies, Senor Frogs, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, etc...

Trust me when I tell you that you won't have enough time to do all the things that you would enjoy in one trip. You will want to return for more...

Poquoson, VA
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you still have fun in Coz if you don't dive?

Just to add a sort of "me too" post... I'm not a diver (though I MAY get certified this next trip) and I've been to Cozumel four times so far, with the fifth scheduled for November, and I've ALWAYS had a ball. Rather than trying to suggest what to do, I'll just say Google Cozumel and you'll find plenty of things available. Select those that interest you and make inquiries on this board (and others) to find the best suppliers/guides/deals/etc. Have a ball!