We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and ElCoz

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and ElCoz

I've been reading everything I can here to get ready for our first visit next month. I have often noted a comment about "water shoes" in order to walk on the beach or perhaps it is to get down the steps to the water. We never use them here at the good old Jersey beaches, so are they a necessity?

Two of our grandchildren swim well, but the 5 year old still needs some help. Does El Coz have floaties or vests for kids? Also, we have seen boogie boards with a hole cut in for viewing fish...this would be great for some of the non-snorkelers in the group. Can we rent or purchase?

Last, (I promise) for those of you who have gone to Coz with kids (ours are 5,8,9) do you recommend taking a jeep around the island as something they would enjoy? I know they will love the pools, ocean and mini golf, but any other great suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...One month to go!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids and ElCoz

I can just comment on the water shoes. Directly in front of the resort you don't need water shoes. If you venture to the sides you will need them.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Hi Sapphire, they don't have to have water shoes, but if you walk down the beach, you will need a sandal. Also, they don't have floats, so the float with clear view would be great for the non snorkelers. I tried to find one for my smallest grandson before he learned to swim and snorkel. They do have lifejackets there. We have always taken floats and floaties in the past when the gkids went with us. I think all of you would really enjoy the east side of the island and go to the lighthouse. I think the kids especially would really love it. It has a great view from there and be sure to take your camera!

Enjoy!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids and ElCoz

The water shoes are not necessary when walking on the beach in front of the El Coz, but I would recommend them when entering the water if they are not wearing flippers. There are a few sea urchins in between the rocks along the shoreline. They are well hidden and would be hard to step on even if you tried, but there have been a few reports of people doing so.

The dive shop provides child sized life vests, but they were just a little too large for my 6 yr old. It worked fine but he loved snorkeling so much that we could not get him out of the water. After a while the vest rubbed some nasty blisters under his arms, so limit the time that they are in the water.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Thanks to you all for every suggestion. The boys have never snorkeled before, so we'll see if they take to it...sure hope so. We definitely want to see some of the rest of Cozumel, so I will look into the east side beaches. I am still trying to connect with a photographer for some "whole family" beach pictures. I will take my camera, but I'm not the best at it...I think we will try to do as much as we can! Thanks again.

LaSalle, Ontario
Level Contributor
294 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Hi Sapphire. If I were you, since the boys are newbies at the snorkeling, see if you can borrow some kid snorkels and take them to the local pool. We have bought very inexpensive snorkel sets for our kids at our local Canadian Hardware or COSTCO, but we don't mind hauling them, knowing the hassle will be less once we get there, as they can go in and out whenever they want.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Another good idea...love TA!! not sure about getting them to a pool with all their other activities these days (I remember when we just went outside and played....)but taking them to be fitted for the mask is such a good idea. Thanks!

PA
Level Contributor
667 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Hi Sapphire........It has been a while since we "talked." We first took our kids when they were 7 and 9 and they had never snorkeled before and took to it right away. The water gradually gets deeper so they can even stand in the water to snorkel until they get used to it. The fish are swimming all around people standing in the water. They wore fins the first year but not again and no water shoes. Occasionally my daughter would wear her strap on sandals into the water to avoid the stones. There is some glass on the beach (most of it smoothed from the water - but not all) so you may want to have sandals like someone else mentioned to walk the beach. We never wore them but maybe we were just lucky.

If the kids can swim, I would see no reason for floaties. If they cannot, then of course you should bring them. I just snorkeled right beside them until they were comfortable and even then did not go too far away.

I think that the kids would love a tour around the island. Mine especially loved having the convertible "punch buggy" and my son had some pretty funny hairstyles from the wind!! I think I already told you that our kids love Paradise Beach (but I would think this would be if they are able to swim because the iceberg which is the most fun for them is out a little bit and requires some swimming although they do have mats that they could make their way out there and then climb the iceberg and slide off the back. You could be waiting there with the mat for them to go around again. My kids also love Punta Sur for the beach, lighthouse, croc viewing and lagoon boat tour all for $10. We have been there twice and it doesn't get old for us. One of these times I will be able to snorkel here. Lastly, Coconuts is a must do if just for the view and the animals around the bar. My kids say they have the best French fries. We did do the San Gervasio ruins the first time we were there and found it interesting and it eased my guilt of taking them out of school by feeling that they were learning something :o) Somewhere over that way is the Pee Pee Station sign that the kids just crack up over. A definite Kodak moment.

I can't wait to see your trip report and pictures when you get back.........

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Hi there Cozsnorkelfan!! Haven't seen you on line for awhile and as usual, you have great ideas!! Are you planning a trip soon?

I am copying all the great suggestions from everyone...just picked up our e-tickets today and hotel vouchers....Nothing like holding them in your hot little hand to make it seem real! I planned, organized and paid for this trip way back in February, so I am really, really ready to go. I will definitely report back, although I'm pretty sure it will all just say what everyone else does...happy, happy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

PA
Level Contributor
667 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Sapphire......Unfortunately no plans for Coz in the near future. I have not been on the forum much lately because it got a bit boring with all the White Sands posts and then lots of people arguing back and forth. It seems that it has been ages since someone posted a trip report or any new pictures.

I need to get my cozumel fix through those reports and pictures and right now I am in withdrawal :o)

Milford, Delaware
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids and ElCoz

Sapphire, I bought our 5 yr. old a snorkel set @ Sam's Club $20 if I remember right. I've been letting her "practice" with it in the tub, before soaping up or shampooing so the lens won't get fogged up. She absolutley loves it, actually gets upset when its time to put it away and get cleaned up. I figured this way when we are on the beach the feeling of the mask/snorkel won't be so strange to her. Also, the straps are set for head now so we won't have to mess with that when we get started.