We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying American Airlines

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Flying American Airlines

If I read this correctly do we have to pay for bringing our one bag? I thought everyone was allowed to have one bag checked in, and if you had any extra bags after the one, you was charged for the senond one, Now they charge for one? If so its gonna cost us a fortune, cause she also has to pack her wedding dress in a seprate bag!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying American Airlines

You don't include needed info:

May 12 - June 14, 2008

Customers who purchased domestic economy class tickets May 12 - June 14, 2008, may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way.

June 15, 2008

Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008, will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag.

Q: What are the baggage limits for international travel?

A: In many cases, the carry-on baggage limitations are the same for domestic and international travel, however carry-on limitations may vary by country. Learn more about international carry-on guidelines and important information about liquids and gels.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying American Airlines

You dont include needed info??

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying American Airlines

When did you buy your ticket?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying American Airlines

Duh! I just recently purchased my tickets about 2 weeks ago. How big of a carry-on you allowed to bring? Whats the weight on that? Sorry Im a inexperienced travler..

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying American Airlines

http://tinyurl.com/2nc9ce

You can carry on one bag plus one personal item per passenger as long as:

#

They weigh no more than 40 lbs/18 kgs

#

The bag is no more than 45 inches and the personal item is no more than 36 inches when you add the length + width + height so that it fits in an overhead bin or under the seat

Personal item - includes: backpack purse, briefcase, laptop OR a similar item such as book bag or tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and fits under the seat.

Read the entire link to include info about liquids.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying American Airlines

A good idea to transport the wedding dress is to put it in a bi-fold garment bag. I've been asked by too many brides to be if we have a closet on board where they can store thier dresses. Or they'll ask if they can take up an entire overhead bin, that isnt going to fly on a full flight.

A garment will allow for easier transport and it will keep the dress in good shape.

When you arrive in Cozumel, take it out and let it hang.

This is what my wife and I did, and the dress turned out perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying American Airlines

I'm flying American on 10/23 to CUN/CZM and wanted to know the same information. Their website is lacking information on baggage charges for international flights... So I called the customer service 800 number.

There is no charge for 2 checked bags on international flights... as long as they aren't oversize or overweight.

You can call them yourself if you want. I only trust about 18% of what I read on the internets.

English

1-800-433-7300

7 days a week

Japanese

1-800-237-0027

6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT

7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese

1-800-492-8095

8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT

Mon - Fri

8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT

Sat. - Sun.

Spanish

1-800-633-3711

7 days a week

TDD (hearing & speech impaired)

1-800-543-1586

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying American Airlines

I would have to agree with MyPC8MyBrain, we are headed to Coz on 10/18 with the understanding we are allowed 2 checked bags. AA.com isn't real clear, it looks as though Mexico is a International flight letting you check 2 bags.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying American Airlines

Great Info guys! Thank you so much...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying American Airlines

Just be sure to double check, some airlines do not consider Mexico and the Caribbean as "international flights".

Weird, yes but true.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America