We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag drag with kids?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bag drag with kids?

Has anyone tried the bag drag from Cancun to Cozumel with children in tow? We are considering doing this with our son who is 5 years old. He minds well and loves to go on vacation to Mexico (Coz) so I think he would probably do ok. I am more worried about my stress level. Input from anyone who has experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Albany, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag drag with kids?

HI,

I haven't done that personally, but I have friends that are coming down in February....I found on cozumelmycozumel (I believe it was that site) where you could catch a flight from Cancun to Cozumel for $38.00 per person, and they left every 1.5 hours. It might be worth checking into since it can cost 50 bucks or more for a cab to Playa, then the ferry boat..... just a suggestion.

Albany, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag drag with kids?

sorry....It wasn't that site...but I did find this.... http://www.mayair.com.mx/Flights_list.php but the flights were $75.00 per person.... but it's a 15 minute flight versus a couple hours :)

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bag drag with kids?

I think there was just a post on this flight recently and someone said the planes were a little scary, in other words not kept up, maybe dangerous. It wasn't to long ago, I think less than a month so you might want to do some research.

Canterbury, CT
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bag drag with kids?

My husband and I have taken the flight from Cancun to Cozumel and back several times and agree that it's a little scary. Being so light, the planes are at the mercy of the wind currents, making the short trip pretty bumpy. If you have any qualms about safety, take the ferry back and forth.

Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bag drag with kids?

Thank you for your input. I am a nervous flier so I will do the bag drag or fly straight in from the states to Coz. I was hoping to save some money and fly into Cancun.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bag drag with kids?

Many people on this forum have said how easy it is to fly to Cancun and get to Cozumel. I have to say, that I absolutely don't agree. Maybe it was because it was out of season but it was an absolute pain when I went to meet my dad who flew into Cancun to take him back to Cozumel with me, and then took him back the other way.

Here is why and you can judge for yourself:

1) The ADO bus runs, at best, once an hour to Playa del Carmen; Cancun airport services are primitive, and when you exit the terminal, there are just a sea of white vans, no signs, no help desk, nothing. I speak Spanish so it was ok, but I pity those who don't and may feel a little unsure - it was really quite confusing;

2) You have to be sure that, when you get to Playa your time coincides with the times the ferries leave. We missed one and had nearly two hours to wait for the next one and bear in mind my poor dad had flown from the UK, and was really tired, and just needed to get home, have a lie down and a cuppa;

3)If you don't get the ADO, I didn't find that many of the collectivos (like shuttle buses) were headed to Playa, loads to Cancun town but that was it. I had to negotiate with a driver to take just me and paid $40 for the trip, by which time I had, once again, missed the ferry back to Coz and had two hours to wait; again maybe it was just low season;

4)Getting back to Cancun airport, be sure that you've got the times of the ferries just right. I didn't, which was entirely my fault for not checking, and we ended up having to get a taxi from Playa to the airport, which cost $50.

All in all, it was not an experience I would recommend unless you really have no option. I absolutely wouldn't attempt it with a small child in tow, but that is just my opinion, and again, it was out of season, so it may be better other times of the year.

Maria

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bag drag with kids?

luv2traveltomexico-we did the bag drag from Cancun in April, with two boys 8 & 11

Easy as can be! We had only carry-on's for luggage so each boy wore a backpack and towed behind them their own suitcase (regulation for carry-on size). The boys loved it, the adventure of the bus ride was interesting for them, the ferry was "AWESOME" by there standards. Mainly because it was terribly windy and let me tell ya, a really rough ride. The laughed hysterically each time the ferry slammed down into a wave and the water sprayed up over the top. (I hated that part). Doing the bag drag with a family of 4 saved a quite a bit of money vs. flying to Coz. Agreed, as other's have said, "timing" is to be taken into account but if you have to wait at Playa, there's lots to see right near the pier, shopping and food. The trip back is a little more intensive given you have to be at the airport 2hrs before your flight, you must plan on extra time, in case you miss the ferry, and in case you miss the bus-having to wait for the next to arrive. We ended up at the airport super early but we didn't care, we sat outside and had a few more Coca's and reflected on our trip. Bring your son's GameBoy or DS and you'll be fine!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bag drag with kids?

Have you considered booking a private transfer from Cancun airport to the ferry at PdC? It'll cost a few more bucks but will certainly be WAAAAY less stressful. I just checked their site - it's $105 round trip for three of you; $120 for four.

We used USA transfers last July (we were staying in Akumal). I can't rave about these guys enough; their service was impeccable and we were lucky enough to have a 10 passenger vehicle all to ourselves (me, husband and 10 year old daughter) .... both there and back!

Here's a link to their site: www.entertainment-plus.net/tour_tpt_pdc.cfm…

Another transfer co that regularly receives excellent reviews is Cancun Valet - we used them years ago and they were great. We opted for USA on our last trip 'cos they were a few bucks cheaper than CV.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,851 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bag drag with kids?

There is an unknown person ..obviously well traveled and of superior intellect, good looks, wit and charm...who developed a web page that documents the process.

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

The private transfer option is a very good suggestion. You save by flying into Cancun but get the benefit of personalized transport from the airport to Playa del Carmen.

I use the ADO bus but I am flexible. The ADO bus will cost $32 or so round trip just for two adults and whatever they charge for a kid so the difference between that and $105 round trip for USA Transfer (or whichever service you choose) is not that great.

Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bag drag with kids?

I have seen the instructions and appreciate them greatly. Those instructions are the only reason I am even considering it. I would like to thank that anonymous well traveled indivdual if only I knew where I could find such a bright person.

Seriously, thanks so much!! The instructions are excellent!!