We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you bring home?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Topic
What do you bring home?

My favorite souvenirs are the shells I find while snorkeling or scuba diving. I'm always careful to make sure they are empty before removing them from the water. My second favorite are the coconuts I have out by our pool. Each one is marked to show the island and year of our trip.

My wife gets a magnet for the fridge from each of the islands we've been to.

Paul, Idaho
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you bring home?

As we have been to the island a number of times, we don't spend as much time shopping as in the past. But we do try and bring back one or two small pieces of pottery to add to our collection, a trinket or two from the store Los Cinco Soles, and wind chimes to add to our collection.

I am not entirely sure about this, but I seem to recall reading that removing shells and taking them back is illegal. Maybe someone else knows for sure and can advise. I could be mistaken, but better to know and be prepared.

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you bring home?

I know taking them from the Marine Park is illegal and I do not do it there. The only shell I have from Coz was found on the beach.

mn
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you bring home?

I admit, I love cheesy plastic snow globes. :) But I don't think I found one on Coz last time I was there. Guess I will have to go back! Otherwise magnets, pictures of my family, and a special bottle of tequila always works. Oh - and anything from Cinco Del Soles. I'd better stop - I could keep going!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you bring home?

Lots & lots of photos, vanilla for every relative that bakes, and maybe a T shirt from the dive op if it's a nice design, but sometimes I don't because I have some I've never worn yet. (dirt seems to find any light colored shirt I wear within minutes of me putting it on).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you bring home?

I also would imagine it not legal to bring the coconuts into the US--if they knew you had them.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you bring home?

a tan, about 3-4 extra pounds (compliments of the food and a margarita or ten!), oh and my husband always brings back a baseball cap from wherever we go

41 days till our first visit to Cozumel and the Iberostar

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you bring home?

Robert,

Every one of my coconuts has come in legally. I declare them at customs and explain that they are going to used as decorations, not as food and I've been allowed to enter with them.

MrNotti

Kansas City
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you bring home?

We always bring a bottle of tequila (or two :) to add to our collection. Is there a certain ta-kill-ya that might be unique to Coz for souvenir purposes?

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you bring home?

Our first few trips I brought back bleached out coral/shells found on the beach and a few hammocks. Now we bring back great tans, lots of pictures, and wonderful memories to last us till out next time on the island. The tan fades, but the memories don't!

Mrs. Macbear

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you bring home?

For us, a few bottles of tequila, some local artwork if we see something we like, lots of pictures and great memories.