We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

My 20 year old daughter and 4 friends are planning to go to Cozumel next week. They are staying at the El Cozumeleno resort. Is travel to Cozumel safe? Should they leave the resort at all? Or should we cancel the trip until later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

The State Department alert that you may have heard was blown out of proportion. A new one has been issued that is more realistic. I would not hesitate to go to Cozumel today, tomorrow or next week. Get out and enjoy the island.

google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i3WO…

"US travelers told Mexican violence 'localized'

1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Mexico's escalating drug violence need not stop the customary spring exodus of American students south of the border, the US State Department said Friday.

Amid warnings of spiraling Mexican murder rates, the US State Department said much of the country remains unscathed by running battles between security forces and rival cartels.

"We notice that many of the violent activities are localized in several different places. They are not general across the north of Mexico, let alone through ... the entire country," State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid said.

As students prepare their annual spring break from studies, concerns have grown about the safety of popular Mexican getaways such as Cancun and Acapulco, which traditionally swarm with hedonistic students each March.

Duguid said violence was "not systematic throughout the country."

In February, the State Department warned travelers of the risk posed by increased violence, particularly along the US-Mexico border.

Last year an estimated 5,300 people died in Mexico as a result of drug-related violence."

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

Here is that link:

http://tinyurl.com/afdn9s

Minnesota
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

Cozumel is plenty safe. We feel comfortable in all areas both tourist and local. This is also during all hours (not that we are out super late) even walking quite a ways after a night at Senor Frogs around 2am.

Staying at the resort is not recommended as it is boring. If they stay at the resort they will not be able to experience the island. There are wonderful restaurants, sights, sounds, people, etc.

My wife talked me into going back to MX (I didn't like MX at all) this year and we decided on Coz for lots of reasons. We LOVED it. It is our 'place' now. We cannot wait to go back. They will have a great time!

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

They will be fine on the Island!!!

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

The only issue that your 20 year old daughter and friends may encounter is unwanted advances by fellow tourists.

The island remains safe. They'll become bored staying at the El Coz and should venture off property.

I'll suggest that she and her friends not wear expensive jewellery or dress too provocatively. Blend in.

Inform your daughter to use common sense at all times and not to "let her guard down" just because she's on vacation.

John from Ontario Canada.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

This topic is being discussed on several message boards and all of them agree that the warnings aren't related to Cozumel. I just got home 7 days ago and the most dangerous thing I saw was people slip entering & exiting the water at the Money Bar's ramp, and I did it too. (there's a warning there saying "watch your step") but other than that I'd still walk anywhere on the island at any hour of the day. I never worried about being mugged, and at times was carrying some very expensive camera gear.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

Actually there is a dirty secret that seldom gets much press coverage. Soon you will understand why. If you have your daughter nearby or young kiddies, have them leave the room before you click on the following link.

She may or may not experience this at El Coz. Maybe at a beach club south of town. Maybe it will happen when a group of cruise ship folks storm a beach club. Or it may happen downtown near the square. It may not happen period.

I know that it may be difficult to discuss this sort of sight with a young lady. You want to protect her. Yet you know that the best you can do is raise her right, and do the best job you can to prepare her to enter the world.

Having said all this to give you a chance to clear the room, here is one thing that she may experience in Cozumel. How you prepare her for the chance, low that it may be.....is your job as a parent

http://tinyurl.com/2b2ack

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

CO Pilot 54:

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

I saw it coming.

John from Ontario, Canada.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

Holy smokes I just blew Dr. Pepper out of my nose!!!

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Cozumel?

oh my god and you call your self a travel expert !!!! how dare you post a photo like that..i'm reporting you ! i will have that post deleted, i am forever scarred. laughing till i cried...good one ! :0)