We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humane Society info & photos.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Humane Society info & photos.

I know that we have a lot of pet owners as members but I also know that a lot of people, my wife included, have a fear of stray dogs. On her first visit back in Dec 2000 strays were just about everywhere we walked, and wandered through the open air restaurants that we ate in and made her uneasy a lot of the time. Those days are gone thanks to many successful programs run by Cozumel’s Humane Society and we really saw the difference this trip. We never ran into a stray dog while out walking the streets, nor did we see any stray cats at either of the resorts we stayed at and I think about the only place we may have seen a stray was walking down a side street late one evening. Like divisions of the Humane Society everywhere Cozumel’s chapter is driven by dedicated volunteers & donations, both financial & of goods & supplies.

Hopefully knowing a bit about their needs and where they are located you can be of help. Perhaps you have a pet bed, or carry cage not being used, or any of the other things needed for daily care that just occupy space in your basement but might fit into your luggage, or that you could ship to one of the many dedicated "mules" that bring supplies on their trips. Maybe you could become a "mule". Anything helps, and it doesn't have to be in the form of a cash donation unless that's what makes you feel good. With that in mind I drove to the facility & took some photos including one of the sign you need to watch for while driving what can be a busy road depending on time of day.

To learn more about the Humane Society use this link plus the different links on the home page.

www.humanecozumel.org/hmn.php…

my photos are here

…google.com/cicopo/HumaneSocietyOfCozumel#

AND just to be sure you can find it without any difficulty here's how it's done from the main street in town running along the waterfront.

Drive south past the Park Royal, and watch for the traffic light, and get over to the left TURN lane and turn left on the green light. You'll drive about 1/2 mile or 3/4 Km (past the water purification plant) watching for the large sign in my photos. It's about 3 feet X 4 feet and easily seen. You will turn right, go down the dirt road and take the first turn to your right (there's a small sign) drive along side of the sports field and about where it ends you'll see the final sign marking a turn to the left. It's just a short way down the street.

If you are coming from the southern resorts the traffic light is just after the Pemex station, and you will turn right.

Be alert in the area of the traffic light because if there are cruise ships at either of the piers along here there can be a lot of pedestrian traffic crossing the streets.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

One ofthe first things I noticed on my first trip to Cozumel was the lack of stray animals which i have seen in many other places in mexico and hordes of them in Venezuela. Everyone involved with this great cause is to be congratulated

Midwest
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

Monica and Andrea have done and do an amazing job working with the cats and dogs on the island! We also remember the number of strays when we started visiting (94') and what a difference it is today.

They work hard to educate about owning and taking care of animals on the island. They have saved many from inhumane situations. And, offer a chance for a new life to so many!

During the Sunday night pet parades and visits to the Humane Society we see so many great animals that would make great pets!

If you can, please offer financial donations, volunteer your time and check-in to see what types of supplies they are in need of. They are very dependent on the support of all of us!

Thank you Monica and Andrea...you make a difference everyday!

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

I can't wait til our next trip in November - one thing on our "TO-DO" list is to volunteer for the pet parade on Sunday night. My boys are going to love that!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

Larry thanks for the great report and pictures. 2008 was a year of significant growth for the Humane Society and 2009 is a very exciting year as we are in the process of launching our permanent free spay/neuter campaign. I will post an update as new topic.

Things are better, but we still have a long way to go. There are still many animals on this island needed to sterilized and many of these animals have owners. And many unwanted litters are still being born. Our aim is to get through to people how necessary it is to spay/neuter their pet.

The Humane Society is a big reason things have improved on the island, but I must add that animal control has humanely euthanized (I say this as they used to poison as a means of animal control) more than 5000 dogs in the last 3 years on this island. We do work with the vet closely and he has a kind heart. He always is asking us if we have space to save a dog they have picked up. Many have been saved from extermination because of this relationship. The animal control vet is very supportive of our new program. He would also very much like to see the need for extermination to end.

Our goal through education, offering free spay/neuter is to end the need for extermination on this island. Our goal is to achieve this in hopefully 3 to 5 years with our new program.

We also hope if we achieve this, adoptions will increase. We have animals that wait way too long to find a forever home. For dogs some of them are still waiting up to a year to be adopted. Cats basically live at the shelter. The adoption rate on cats is very low and we have way, way too many. In this last week our nursery has already been filled by nursing mothers and their litters. There is just not enough room to support all these cats.

I have added many new dogs needing homes to our website. If you are looking for a friend please have a look under "adopt a pet".

And we always need volunteers for pet parade. It can be very difficult finding enough people to help some Sundays. We are also doing Mega adoptions days twice a month. We hope to do one this Saturday. Just PM me or email via the website if you would like to volunteer.

Again thanks so much Larry for taking the time to check out the Red Cross and the Humane Society while on your vacation and reporting on both organizations.

Gracias,

Andrea

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

Thank you for the pictures, Cicopo. I was thrilled to see the picture you took of the mural at the HS showing two cats with "You'll never walk alone" painted above.

They are my cats!!!

There was/is a great programme called "sponsor a kennel", which I did and in return got to send a picture of my babies which was painted in the cattery.

If anyone else would like to have their pets painted, they should consider sponsoring a kennel/cattery too. It is a great way for the HS to get some money, and it is so wonderful to see those two beloved faces on a wall in Cozumel.

I am sure Andrea can help you if you are interested. Which reminds me I should be sending my donation about now!!

Maria

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

Andrea, I think most new visitors can't relate to the fantastic job you any your team have done re the stray dogs. Years ago it could be very intimidating to be walking down a street only to see 3 or more stray dogs coming towards you in a pack. My wife would see them and insist we either turn down an upcoming street or reverse direction in order to prevent meeting them face to face. There's a lot of people that have the same reaction, or would if the problem still existed. I think the improvement is every bit as important as it is knowing that it's safe to walk the streets without expecting to be mugged if you wander away from the busy areas. My wife never worries about that but strays still worry her.

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

In Coz this week and want to visit these wonderful people. thanks Larry, I used the search bar and found this post with your directions...will be going there today.

Laura (& Jerry)

:)

8. Re: Humane Society info & photos.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 20:20