We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
144 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

Please explain to me the procedure? do you buy the equipment, or is it used? Is it sanitary, do u just buy a snap on mouth piece? My wife will balk at it if it is not sanitary. Please explain the process, thinking about trying it from shore. I do not know the process? Can you rent a raft to rest on if you are out over your head or do you have to swim the intire time.

sorry I really havent a clue?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

If you stay at an all-inclusive, they have the equipment to check out for free. I highly doubt that it's been sanitized after each use. You could always wash it with soap and water, if you're concerned with that. They also have life jackets for you to use. If you are comfortable in the water, then snorkeling is a wonderful experience. You absolutely can snorkel from the beach and I would recommend that, since you've never been before....you'll be more comfortable that way.

You could always buy an inexpensive snorkel and use their mask. When are you going and what hotel are you staying at?

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

I think everyone does it a little different. We bought our own equipment - I know whose mouth it has been in, plus I can get my mask fitted perfectly so I don't have any leaks.

I have yet to figure out how to enter the water gracefully with fins - I like to put them on, walk backwards until about knee deep, turn around, then put my mask with snorkel on. Then, I walk a little further, bend down, stick my face in the water, have the initial tiny panic attack (my face and nose are under water!), start breathing and start looking around. If your mask leaks or fogs, you are still in shallow water to adjust. Once I get started, I forget about the rest of the world.

The beauty of snorkeling is that as long as you are not around a lot of people or trying to fight a current, you really don't "swim". You are very buoyant in the water, and I just float quietly watching the underwater world. I use my fins when I want to move quickly, or go in a different direction.

Hope this helps! I love snorkeling!

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
144 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

Thanks for the help, Is there a cheap place to buy snorkels that is close to the cruise ship docks in cozumel. We are thinking of just renting the flippers when we go.

Tslammer

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

I don't know of any places near the cruise ship terminal that "rents" equipment. If you are on a cruise ship you may be able to rent from them. If you're going to buy you're better off buying at home and bringing with you.

Snorkeling is alot of fun and easy to do once you get the hang of breathing through the snorkel. I recommend if you're going to buy make sure you buy a "dry" snorkel.. it will keep the water from coming through the top of the snorkel back into your mouth. We bought ours (mask, snorkel and fins) from Sams club for about $40 for the set.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

I'm sure that most snorkels are clean. I don't worry so much about the bacteria as I do viruses. They can be more difficult to eliminate. I never have had a problem with cold sores and don't want to get them from someone else. Sorry for the gross-out factor.

If you can find a decent set at a good price I would go for it. Otherwise you can go to Target or a local dive shop and at least buy your own snorkel and if possible mask. Fins may be a pain to pack but I would look into buying botties with a rubber sole, especially when shore diving where there are sea urchin.

For me breathing through a snorkle was a challenge for the first 10 minutes of my swim. I found myself hyperventelating and breathing like Darth Vader. If possible, practice in a pool. You are much more bouyant in salt water and may find that you do not need a vest. It is personal preferance. Most of all relax and take in the scenery!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

If you want to purchase, I would definitely buy at home before you leave. Since you seemed so concerned with snorkeling, I didn't suggest buying the set because of expense. Some people go all out and buy something expensive, but some just go to Walmart or Target, Sams, etc. If you're not worried about the cost, then go for the good ones. If you like snorkeling and will continue, then you'll have it.

Hope you have a wonderful time. Everyone that sees the undersea beauty, is in aw.

canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

In earlier posts it was recommended to buy the 'Body Glove", snorkel set which includes dry snorkel, mask, flippers, bag to hold all of this and a smaller bag to keep the mask from scratching. In Canada you can get it at Costco($59.99) and in the U.S-Sam's (39.99) for adult sizes. Children's are cheaper. It is also available online at many places. We are also novice snorkelers but many people on this site have given very helpful tips.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

I bought my snorking equipment a few years ago from Sam's club and it has held up beautifully over the years. It was inexpensive, cleans up nicely, fits perfectly and best of all..it is mine to use over and over. One of the best investments I have made. If you decide to buy your own equipment, you could go to a local pool to try it out before your trip. That is what I did before my first trip and I felt pretty comfortable once I got to Cozumel.

indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

i definitely would get your own, masks can be tricky they come in different sizes as do faces. see if you can go to a local dive shop in your area and try some on. nothing worse than having leaking problems with your mask, it can make the experience awful.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling Q's I have never done it?

If you have a Sam's Club membership they sell masks and snorkles there. I have two of my wet suits there also, they typically carry the Body Glove line. Granted it isn't the top of the line but the products are great for hte price.