We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it a sin?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it a sin?

...to go to Cozumel and stay at the resort the whole time? We arrive at noon on Thursday and fly home Sunday at noon. With such a short trip, should I bother trying to squeeze everything in? I'm so tempted, but wonder if just relaxing at the pool and beach at the Grand should make it seem longer!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it a sin?

As a fellow Richmonder.....Yes.

You have two whole days of "nothing to do". Use one to explore and help the local economy by spreading the money around.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it a sin?

one day on the wild side would be a must do. But I have kids who like to play in the surf. Depends what your interest are--you like laying/reading/sunbathing the resort may be fine. I'd have to go eat out off the resort at least twice. MD

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it a sin?

It's YOUR vacation. You basically have 2.5 days....You should only be doing Sun, sand, food, drink.

I went to Royal PDC last April for 8 nights and never left the resort. now THAT was a sin!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it a sin?

Argh! I'm so torn!

We went to Akumal last month for 8 days and got the Mexico bug so we are back for a short fix. I have only been to Coz once before as a cruise stop and did the 4x4 excursion to the ruins with lunch on the beach. It was amazing. Since then, however, we have really enjoyed exploring on our own instead of organized tours.

We are 32 & 34, no kids- love a good margarita, great sights and experiencing the most authentic flavor of the area.

Would you recommend heading into San Miguel for a day? Any recommendations of a must-do restaurant or beach front bar?

We did Tulum last month, so I don't feel the pressure to get any ruins in. :)

Is a trip to the southernmost lighthouse a nice day trip? (We love the light houses in the Outer Banks, NC).

Thanks for entertaining my post!

Sascha

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it a sin?

I think the only sin would be not doing exactly what you want to do. While I agree Cozumel has some interesting sites, if you prefer to chill around your resort, by all means do it.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it a sin?

Personally I couldn't imagine being in Cozumel and not exploring. I think I would be able to find a much cheaper option closer to home to lay around a pool looking at an ocean - but to each his own.

For my husband and I when the plane lands we hit the ground running ! Don't get me wrong - I get plenty of laying around time - just at the different beach clubs the island has to offer. We have our favorite restaurants we have to go to and always try to squeeze in a few new ones too. By being explorers we have made friends with people on the island that we have to go see too. Exploring gives a much bigger view of what the island is really like instead of what package your particular resort offers. IMO.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it a sin?

SaschaMac,

Download our beach & restaurant reviews and a map from this page and decide if you want to hit the island. After you see the beach reviews, you'll want to spend a day exploring or just driving around the island.

cozumelcondominium.com/activities-in-cozumel…

From where you are, you could do a counter clockwise rotation on the island. Get a leisurely start, go around the island and stop at a few beach bars, stop for dinner in town and be back at the resort for after dinner drinks.

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it a sin?

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes ¨leisure time¨. The only thing we all agree on is leasure time is more and more difficult to schedule and typically cost a good deal of money.

I was at an all-inclusive here and almost didn´t leave for a month out of the three months I spent here.

If your goal is to know the island and the Mexican way of life to some small degree, and frankly that is all you will get, a small dose - then getting out some is necessary.

If your goal is to be pampered, waited on hand and foot and just jump in a refreshing pool every few hours when you are sunbathing, then the resort pool is ideal - but for better service, don´t depend solely on the all-inclusive thing, tip your waiters. This will make you a ¨special guest¨ and they will often call out your name as they gladely prepare your beaverage.

Anyway, I checked the Bible and no, it is not specifically categorized as a ¨sin¨. LOL - but that may depend on how much alcohol and what sort of activities you ultimately participate in.

If YOU have fun and go home relaxed, the trip can be called a ¨success¨ - this is supposed to be about you not others.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it a sin?

I guess my trouble is I'm not used to such a short trip, and I tend to be a "do'er." I also know that I will return for a longer trip in the future, so I will eventually get to explore more.

mslf500- thank you for the site! The map is the best I've come across and I have been really searching. :o) I printed out the reviews- this is exactly what I need. Since it is a short trip, if the work is done ahead and I have a plan I can hopefully fit more in. Thanks again.

IslandJim- thank you. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said.

Everyone has been friendly and helpful. All I know is that I am going to a beautiful place and no matter how I decide to spend my time, I'm going to unravel all of the stressors of home!

Thanks to all,

Sascha

New Hope, Minnesota
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it a sin?

We stayed for 3 nights one year. We went into town one evening for dinner and shopping, after a day of laying around the pool. And also rented a jeep by 10 am one day to hit the east side and was back at my resort pool by 3:30 pm. to cool off and relax. That seemed to work out well for us.