We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Coz Reviews

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, North...
Level Contributor
891 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
El Coz Reviews

The reviews pretty much says it all. Once a diamond in the rough, now a plain rock.

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Coz Reviews

cdill:

If I may......

I may be the exception here but I don't put any weight on hotel reviews on TA, especially negative ones. They are written by strangers who's opinions mean almost nothing to me. They can be 100% fake, written by competitors or authored by people who are basically angry and unsatisfied all the time. The angry and unsatisfied crowd isn't capable of having fun or dealing with an issue in an effective, civilized manner.

I'm aware that your wife became ill at El Coz and that you feel the Operations Manager is a "jerk." I believe your wife's illness to be genuine.

I have little appreciation for people who:

Go to a 4-star (Mexican standards) property and expect royal treatment.

Eat strictly from a buffet for a week and complain of food quality / quantity or variety.

Complain of beds being as hard as concrete - typical at hotels in this part (all of?) Mexico.

Complaining about beach towels - how can this be a crisis issue?

Complain about a lack of chairs - deal with it or let something so minor wreck your vacation.

I guess what I'm saying is that I read a few of the most recent reviews and the authors tend to come across, at least to me, as whining and not having the ability to relax.

In the interest of disclosure, I've stayed at the El Coz twice, most recently in November of last year. Unless things have changed dramatically since then, I'd return without hesitation.

Of course, I also stayed at the 2 1/2 star-rated Sun Village Principe (no longer existing) and liked it so much, I returned to it the next year.

I think most things in life, including resort selection and your experience while there, are directly related to one's perspective and how one handles potential issues.

My two cents.

John from Ontario Canada.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Coz Reviews

Yeah! What John said!!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Coz Reviews

We've stayed there a few times and it was fine. No, the food wasn't stellar and except for breakfast we mostly ate in town, but sometimes when we didn't feel like going into town we ate there and it was passable. I should note that I cook for a hobby and to me most of the restaurants around here are just passable.

If we wanted better food and be pampered more, etc. we'd cough up the bucks and go to the Cozumel Palace. They have a really nice beach. :)

I don't know what the wife being sick deal was, but the last time we stayed there my wife's sis and her husband went with us and he became really ill (I think he was badly hungover). The sis went to the front next and an hour later a doc showed up at his room, checked him out and gave him some meds - all for $125. Try getting that deal in the states, if you can even find a doc that will make a house call. He was fine the next day, which reinforced my belief that he'd been hungover.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
891 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Coz Reviews

John, I understand your thoughts and can appreciate them. I have stayed at the ElCoz about 10 times in the last 7 years and seen it go down hill for the last 2 or 3 years to a TA rating of 21. You will notice in my profile I travel a good bit and I rely on the reviews on TA, as they more often than not,reflect the majority opinions, discounting the newbees that join to complain. I love Cozumel and will return soon but will NEVER stay at the ElCoz again.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Coz Reviews

I'll say this, then I'm done. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I've taken my family, including 2 little kids, a husband with health issues and very easy to get ill. None of us have ever been sick. The illness can come from anywhere, even the water. Yes, the water in the ocean. I saw on Nat. Geo. the other day, "when beaches attack". You can get ecoli, among a couple of others, through your nose, taking it in your mouth. Let's just put things in perspective and it's not a fair statement to claim illness came from the food. There's never really a way to know for sure. We've been going for 14 yrs....need I say more. No, it's not ALL the best food in Coz, but I've always selected what I like and did enjoy it.

All I can say to those of you who have indeed had bad experiences, don't go back. I will remain going as long as we are treated well and enjoying our stay. It took me a long time to even get used to the food in Mexico years ago.

I'm anxious to return and I will be unbiased on my report upon our return home. We're looking forward to the same service as we've always had.

When I first joined TA in 07, it concerned me about some of the bad reviews, but then I learned quickly that, it's "opinion". You have yours and we have ours, that's the way it works. But I don't like anyone trying to make a matter of fact statement "that says it all." It doesn't say it all. I don't worry about the rankings, as some people do.

Now, I may be singing a different tune after my stay, so we'll just see. But I can tell you this, it will be honest and fair.

I hate getting old, but one thing I've learned is you get what you give and our attitude when we are there can make or break our vacation.

Grand Haven,MI.
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Coz Reviews

Yeah what she said!!!

Wally :o}

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Coz Reviews

Love that dog Wallyman, and yeah what she said!!!

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Coz Reviews

Well, my 2cents worth, as I AM HERE! Claude, for me, your assertions are not accurated. You haven't been back in over a year, you are going on second hand talk now. I'm here, staff is wonderful, facility immaculate, and a "personal" welcome from the manager was in my room when I arrived yesterday. If thngs are worse, I will say so. But so far, El Coz is as good as ever. I' done.

Chuck

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
891 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Coz Reviews

Chuck, there is no second hand talk involved. Glad you are there and I am not. No need to attack me for my truthful post.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Coz Reviews

I respect all of the above people and their comments, but Claude has earned the right over years to post a negative comment about the El Coz without being attacked. It is not like he is a first time poster. He has always been a voice of reason and for many years was one of the biggest supporters for the El Coz on this forum.

I have been to 22 different resorts in Coz/Cancun/Playa and the El Coz is my 3rd favorite even though it has the worst food. It is also the only place in Mexico where I have gotten sick for whatever reason. No place is perfect and there are many things that I would change about the El Coz and even more things that I wouldn't change. Negative comments are just as valuable to travelers as positive comments.

There is nothing worse than receiving rude treatment from a hotel employee while your trying to relax on your vacation. A well respected poster like Claude certainly has the right to vent their opinion on this.

Nonetheless, I will be back at the El Coz in June for the 6th time fully armed with negative and positive information to help make my trip more enjoyable.