We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

An earlier post stated boas in the road, crocs on the golf course, is it really a problem? Is it a problem waiting to happen?

1. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2005, 14:32
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

It's doubtful that you would see either unless you were hiking deep in the jungle or wading in the mangroves. I'm not sure where the horseback riding tour goes but that might be a concern. Because of the biology of both species it is doubtful that a boa or croc would ever cross paths. But for the record, I would put my money on the croc.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

We just returned, didn't golf but we did see a crocodile/alligator (not sure which one) when we were leaving on the boat from Isla de pasion.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Hey divingbrother------I'm one of those previous posters you mentioned.......you won't see them unless you want to........like in the north near Isla de la Passion..........or in the Punta Sur park which is closed anyway........(we saw two crocs swim under our boat while birdwatching).............there's one that hangs in the mangroves behind the parking lot at Palancar Beach....they actually FEED it, but it doesn't come out of the water in the daytime..........but kinda cool to see.........some go back and forth between the marina and the lagoons at Chankanaab..........but again, you'd probably have to BEG a local to take you to have a peek.........so you'll be fine, and anyway, we aren't on their food chain here......they have enough to eat............really!!!...........Betsy

Dallas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Thanks Betty, If you're brave enough to live with them, I guess I can put up with them for a week.

Dallas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Betsy, sorry.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Laura,It was a Salt Water Croc..There are no Alligators any place near Coz..I do not know why a major tourist destination, would not choose to relocate these guys..Especially the Boas since they chow on Birds..I do not mean kill!! I feel guilty running over a crab at night!!!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

Boas can get up to 20ft and feed on prey as large as wild pigs. Keep your kids close. They are evidently easy to catch. Put bait(unfortunately a chicken) in a chicken wire cage. The boa can slip in the cage thru the holes in the wire, but once it has devoured its prey, it is to big to get out.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

As far as relocating the crocs, they actually DO when they get too near the tourists..........one was crossing the street in the hotel zone to the north awhile back early in the am---(jogger time!) and the park people were called in------they caught it and put it down in the Punta Sur Parque..........was on the front page of the newspaper.

After that, someone who must be a croc "expert" told me that to run away from them, all you do is zig zag because apparently they can't do that........... so, with that useful tidbit of information, diving brother, yep, I feel safe here........lol.......Betsy

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boas, crocodiles, are they a problem.

"The boa constrictor is a non-poisonous tropical snake belonging to a specialized group of reptiles -- the first vertebrate class completely independent of water. It is found in Central and South America and often reaches lengths of up to 4 m (13 ft.). It belongs to the same family as the python and anaconda, which reach lengths of up to 9 or 10m. The boa constrictor's life span is about 25 to 30 years. Some boas live in underground holes while others live in trees.

Their prey consists mainly of birds and small mammals such as rats and agoutis. Boas seize their prey in their jaws, then entwine it in their powerful body coils and kill it by suffocation. Boas still have vestiges of a pair of hind limbs. They are one of the most beautifully coloured reptiles. "

www.nature.ca/notebooks/english/boa.htm

Big difference between 13 feet and 20 feet. And the boas found on Cozumel are said to be 6 feet long at the most.

"There are no poisonous snakes on the island, although there are boa constrictors that grow to about six feet, but the locals claim they are pretty timid and don’t often slither out onto the course."

www.golftodaymagazine.com/0405may/cozumel.htm

Boas come in many types, sand boas, rosy boas, red tail boa, mona boa, Virgin Island Boa.

So, who would win between a boa found on Cozumel and a salt water croc. My money is on the croc. Just as soon as it learns to climb a tree.