We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I allowed???

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Am I allowed???

I read that laptops and expensive electronics may be taxed upon arrival into Mexico... Has anyone ever experienced this? I was going to take my Laptop to download our camera pics but now I'm somewhat concerned. Anyone? thanks (in advance) Pete

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I allowed???

Hmmmm...not sure if things have changed but I have done this many times without issue. I doubt it would be a problem for you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I allowed???

1 New or used laptop is permitted per passenger and is exempt from any Duty...When you get your form from the airline, read the Exemptions part, there will be the exlcusion of the Laptop.

Saskatchewan, Can
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I allowed???

brought our laptop I don't think anyone even looked at it

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I allowed???

good deal, I shouldn't of been reading Dept. Of State papers, they never make any sense! Thanks for the help!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I allowed???

Take mine all the time.. no problem. Good idea to upload pics daily..

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I allowed???

When you go thru security, be sure to remove the laptop from it's bag and place on top of it. I forgot to do this once and they held me up for 20 minutes while they did a complete explosives check.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I allowed???

yes that's true MikeM! Be sure to remove it at security. But when you go through customs x-ray after immigration in Cozumel you don't have to remove it there.. at least I never have!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I allowed???

If it is a used laptop you won't have any problems regardless of how good/expensive it is. If you bring a new, in box laptop they might hassle you. According to the one guy that gave me grief once there is a set amount that the computer can be worth, anything over that amount they can tax you.

Only reason I had problems is because I traveled with my 5 year old son and two laptops, one new and one used. They hassled me some, but eventually let me go without paying anything.

Manny

CancunWithMe

kansas
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I allowed???

Another question I am bringing a phone and charger for scubabride that lives in Coz. Should I take these out of the boxes? Will I be taxed?

Thanks

Traci

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I allowed???

You are allowed $300 per person duty free into Mexico so if you have a receipt you should be good.. as long as it's below the allowance.. I've muled stuff and anything electronic I've had receipts for them.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America