We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
682 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

We took a walk up to where they rent the speed boats and there was something like a dry boat dock there with a big pavillion with tables and then a swimming pool with a bar and outdoor showers. Behind and beside the pavillion building were lots of different sized boats just sitting around. I tried to ask one of the people there but he did not speak English and I don't speak Spanish. I took pictures of the area and wanted to put a caption of anyone knows what it is.

Thanks......

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Hi:

I believe that I know exactly where and what you are referring to.

The location used to be called the "Barracuda Beach Club." I don't believe it has been in operation since (perhaps even before) Hurricane Wima back in 2005.

When I wandered the area you are referring to, there was only one other person in the entire area - a security guard. He clearly didn't understand a word that I said to him but he did grant me permission to wander around.

It seems to me that this non-operational beach club is now being used as a kind of scrap yard for boats. Did you happen to see the expensive looking house, out of place amongst it's junky surroundings?

Immediately north of the "beach club" there appears to me to be a large parking lot where people would be able to park cars and trailers for hauling boats. It too looked like it hadn't been used in several years.

Perhaps mslf500 can share more information. mslf500 is a regular mountain bike rider in the northern part of the island.

John from Ontario, Canada.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

This is one of the Island tours that is just for Cruisers. They pay to drive the little speed boats around then hang at the beach club and pool.

Drinks, food, booze and high speed motor boats...the perfect way to spend a day on Cozumel!

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Pato52:

When I checked out the area in November of last year, the small white speed boats were being used but the "beach club" looked to be unusable. The swimming pool was covered in algae and the rest of the facilities looked run down.

PA
Level Contributor
682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Thank you Pato for answering that question. Is this the same place that John thought used to be the Barracuda Beach club?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Yes!

PA
Level Contributor
682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

John when we were there last week, the pool was beautiful with water spraying into it like a fountain. There were a group of people having a meeting in the pavillion. I saw no signs anywhere that said what it was though and wondered why the boats were dry docked there. We later saw the speed boats go by in a line.

I must say that my friend and I did that in Cancun and had a good time. We drove through the bay/lagoon area and then out to sea where we stopped and snorkeled and then back again. We had a blast driving. The snorkeling was so so. There was no drinking or eating involved when we did this in Cancun (but then again we were not pod people LOL)

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Is this where the boats to Passion Island go from?

Maria

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Maria:

No.

My understanding is that the boats to Passion Island are located farther north in an area known as "Blind Bay Lagoon."

At the lagoon is a long wooden pier. This is also where many local fisherman parked their boats. The area is accessible by road. I took a taxi there - $13USD from the El Cozumelano hotel.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

Thank you, Carden. Can you get to the pier by foot? In September I walked along the beach past where coz.snorkel.fan is asking about but I just can't remember seeing any pier. It may be round the corner where the land juts out. I didn't get that far as it started to get quite overgrown along the beach, and the mozzies were having a field day on me. My dad didn't even get one bite! So much for genetics.

Maria

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any one familiar with the area north of Melia?

BeCoz:

You can, in theory, get to the pier at Blind Bay Lagoon by walking. You just can't do it by following the beach the way that you did.

Not far north of the Barracuda Beach Club the beach tends to disappear and is replaced by mangrove outcropings and swampy sections. That's why you can't go that way.

You could walk along the main road past the Melia, past the golf course and walk along a dirt / asphalt, pothole dotted road for a few miles and end up at the pier at Blind Bay Lagoon. That's how I got there in a taxi. Bring lots of water with you if you plan on doing this. Might also be a good idea to keep an eye out for crocodiles too. I'm not kidding.