We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine Flu in Coz

longview,tex
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Swine Flu in Coz

Has anyone heard of any problems with the flu in Cozumel? The wife and I are diving May 17-22. Not really worried about dieing from it, just don't want to be/get sick on vacation. Thanks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

We do not have the outbreak here. Mainly in Mexico city and south. 1400 miles away. Texas and California are also a concern as the CDC has reported.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

Lucky for you that you get to escape from the possible swime flu danger to you in Texas and relax safely in Cozumel!

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
990 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

I understand that the CDC stopped short of telling Americans not to travel Mexico.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

Well, we have at least 8 confirmed cases here in NYC (school in Queens)....so Cancun/Playa is looking better all the time.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

I'm still a little worried about this - we are supposed to be heading to Cozumel on Friday but have heard that if they upgrade this to an epidemic (I believe thats the one as it's a pandemic right now I think) then they will stop all non essential flights to Mexico out of Canada at least not sure about the US - there are 40 of us booked to go this will really suck if it's cancelled.....crossing my fingers that this won't happen....

ekanderson80
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

I am worried as well. We are leaving May 18. My fear is going from pan- to epidemic status. I work in a hospital and I chomping at the bit to go in and speak with our Infectious Disease Doc.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

Actually, pandemic is the worst one. That means that it is spreading over a wider area, like a whole continent and other continents. Right now it is only an epidemic so far.

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

There are no cases at all reported in the Mexican Yucatan, Riviera Maya or Cozumel areas.

U.S. Embassy offers advice

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has posted a warden's message to its Web site advising U.S. citizens to avoid large crowds, shaking hands, greeting people with a kiss or using the subway.

In Mexico it is pretty concentrated in Central Mexico and at border regions but the USA border states are having the same difficulties.

The US Center for Disease Control would issue a serious travel advisory or even limit travel if they were very concerned this had spread or become uncontrollable.

"The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Mexico that most cases of influenza are not swine flu," the message states, urging people to refer specific questions about the flu to a medical professional.

The embassy also says it will post additional information as it becomes available at: http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov

It also lists contact information for its American Citizens Services, which can be reached at (55) 5080-2000. For after-hours emergencies, it says to call (55) 5080-2000, ext. "0", and ask to speak to the duty officer.

-THE NEWS

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

Wife and I are going to Riviera Maya May 22. We are bugging out a bit, but I had to explain to the wife that we are only 80 miles from NY, and Playa Del Carmen is over 1000 miles from Mexico City. We are concerned and will continue to monitor the situation. USAir and Continental have both allowed no charge changes to flights into Mexico city. We feel that the US will make the safest call if it comes down to it for total travel to Mexico. We have it in the back of our minds that something is trying to tell us not to go. First, a week after we booked our trip Mexico drug violence becomes newsworthy. Now this.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
longview,tex
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swine Flu in Coz

Thanks to all for the input. I did hear on the morning news that the 8 cases in NY are POSSIBLE Swine flu, and MAY have been contracted in Cancun. Nothing confirmed; CDC is supposed to have a report later this am. Thanks for the link, Island Jim. It would have to be very bad for my wife and I to cancel a dive vacation to Coz. We only get there once a year, and look forward to the next year as soon as we get home.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico