We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're going!

Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
We're going!

I have been on-line for the past 2 days and cannot find any evidence that there is any swine flu in Cozumel. We are flying directly to the island, not thru Cancun.

I called the Aura resort yesterday (cannot wait to see that phone bill) and spoke to one of the managers. I asked her if there was anyone sick there from this flu and she also said that there are NO outbreaks IN COZUMEL. She said that Mexico City is 1400 miles away. I am probably closer to an infected person here in Massachusetts.

No doubt there is a flu going on, but media please!! Why do they always want to scare the crap out of us? It is something new each day. When this passes, there will be something new they will harp on.

You always have to be cautious when traveling; there are germs everywhere; flu or no flu.

I am looking forward to getting to the Aura and being able to escape all of this nonsense. And if lots of you cancel your trips, that just means more attention for us. :)

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're going!

As of right now, I'm planning on going too - May 13! My mother, who is paying for the trip, is a little wary...we'll see what happens.

I'd also like to say that while I think the media IS trying to make some hype about this so people will tune in, I also think that the government and media together are simply trying to inform everyone of what's going on so that IF this reaches pandemic proportions, people can't say they were not adequately warned. I'd rather be worried over nothing than think everything's fine when it isn't! I think that they are trying to keep their behinds covered either way. I haven't really heard anyone in the media blowing things out of proportion - in fact the news here in Texas keeps telling people to stay calm. I think it's the sheer amount of time being devoted to coverage that makes people think things are really bad.

That being said, I completely agree with your assertion that there are no cases reported in Coz - or even in all of the Yucatan to my knowledge. I think it's reassuring to others to hear that people are still going...reaffirming that I'm not crazy for still wanting to go too!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're going!

We're still on for June as well. Stupid media, but you have to admit they are effective. All of the people I work with are convinced half the world is at risk of a deadly outbreak at this point.

Oh well, hopefully they stop traveling and vacations get cheaper :)

sanFrancisco
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: We're going!

The flu was picked up in Cancun by travelers on their honeymoon. I'm sure many of the resort staff travels from Cancun to Cozumel. Also, the cruise ships transporting people form port to port could be a problem. I am leaving in 12 days with much controversy. Did the Aura offer you a refund? I don't think our resort would give us a refund, I haven't asked.

Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're going!

I did not ask about a refund. My call was to check about the flu in Cozumel... I am sure if you bought the travel insurance with your trip you would be covered, but not sure.

Orinda, Ca
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're going!

Hey all,

While I bought trip insurance it doesn't cover "pandemics'.

I just got off the phone with both Orbitz and the Presidente. The Presidente would be happy to issue a refund or to change our dates. Continental airlines will do the same.

We are leaving on Sunday. If things got incredibly worse we would be able to postpone our trip. You all might consider finding out what your options are as that provides some peace of mind.

I flew to Canada during the SARS epidemic in 2003. So interesting that there were no travel advisories for all of Canada, just cautions for Montreal.

I do believe Mexico is being treated poorly. Que lastima!

My best to you all as you struggle with all of the hype. My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones, but I do believe we need to find non-media sources of information.

Kim

6. Re: We're going!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 04:22