We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

allegro cozumel

usa
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
allegro cozumel

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone give me more info on the Allegro Cozumel? We are going there to celebrate our 30th anniversary in June. Thank you.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: allegro cozumel

www.occidentalhotels.com/allegro/Cozumel.asp

http://tinyurl.com/p4twph

Read and enjoy

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: allegro cozumel

I haven't stayed there but did arrange a photo tour in Feb. Please note that it seems to be going by the old name (Allegro) and the new name (Holiday Village White Sands Resort) so don't get confused by the album name.

…google.com/cicopo/…

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: allegro cozumel

I was there in April and am returning in September (to celebrate 15 years o'marriage!). It was really quite lovely--a glorious beach, warm pools, attentive staff, clean rooms. There *were* a lot of kids, but the entertainment staff kept them under control for the most part. The buffet sort of got old, but honestly, I found something to eat at every meal. The fresh fruits and veggies were really super, and I enjoyed the fish dishes. It was expensive to go into the town at $15 each way. Just remember to tip, tip, tip!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: allegro cozumel

cicopo and I agree that it is the best beach in the area.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: allegro cozumel

Our family has been going to Allergro for 16 years. Occidental Allegro is the name of the hotel. First Club is for the memebers (depending on your arrangement it can be % of ownership to just a time- share). Allegro has rented part of the hotel units to the British Company Holiday Village White Sands (HVWS) for 5 years. Although rumor has it that after thwe 2009 season, they are pulling out, just a rumor as far asI know.

AS far as the hotel, it is BEAUTIFUL!! After Wilma, they have done an excellent job of replacing the flowers, plants and damage. Busy lil' workers!

The taxi to town will cost you about $13-$20, depending on how you bargain. SHARE a ride with others. We always rent a car for the whole week. Budget rental is $69.oo before insurance. We can rent an economy car for $112.00 for the week.

The food is great. We rarely eat the buffet (only b/c we have a food in the First Club) but it is good. I love the salad/fruit/pasta and soup bar.

We were there in April and going again in July. In April there were VERY FEW kids, maybe b/c of the time of year.

Have fun and enjoy your stay!!

PS Book your diving/fishing/snorkling/etc. with the dive shop on property, they are about 20% less than some of the tours in town. I've been shopping prices and they can beat everyone handsdown!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: allegro cozumel

Scrapy;

I have stayed at the Allegro several times and will probably be there again in Sept. I enjoy the resort, but this will be my first trip back since it transitioned to HVWS, so I hope that it has not changed too much. My last couple of visits I have dove with "Dive With Martin" and thought that they were the cheapest. They picked me up at the Allegro dock so no hassle or difference in regards to convenience. How did "Dive With Martin" compare with the Allegro On-Site Dive Shop ? I believe they are called Dive Pallancar.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: allegro cozumel

Hi! I am unsure of dive with Martin. As I remember (I didn't dive in April, but did September 2008) a 2 tank dive was $75 and I told them to keep the change from $80.00 and a single tank dive was $45.00.

(((this might be my member price, non-members could be different but I don't know)))

I also know the more dives you book, the better the prices get. I can post their phone # if you are interested in calling down there. Let me know!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: allegro cozumel

Thanks Scrapy. Last time I was there Dive With Martin's prices seemed to be a couple of dollars a tank cheaper than Dive Palancar. But, since it has been a while I guess I will have to do some comparing. Dive With Martin runs smaller boats and allows the customers to decide on the dive site that day, so those are two features that are in their benefit. I will check with both companies in August before I go. Maybe I will do a couple of dives with each of them.

I hope to go to Cozumel and the Allegro in early Sept. I understand that First Choice Travel has made The Allegro very family friendly and kid friendly. Since I will be wanting to just relax by the pool and to do a little diving a few mornings, I hope that there will not be many people or families with children there once school has started.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: allegro cozumel

The Allegro has only make a "kiddie pool". It is 3-4 inches deep, has a giant slide and a snack bar attached. The kids that hang out there are ages 2-12. It is located just infront of the old kids club. It is located infront of buildings 32-38, so I would avoid that area. You can still hang on the quiet beaches as normal. I didn't notice as many kids in the public hot tub.

HVWS has made a "ropes course" if you wanna call it that. Allegro people have to ask permission to use it, but it is kinda....err... dumb.

You really won't see much difference in the appearance of the place, maybe the restaurants are updated a little more.

The activity staff is now the British workers from HVWS. I truly miss the Mexican staff for activites :(

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: allegro cozumel

I have seen pictures of the Kiddie Pool and the Ropes Course and have no interest in either. I have also heard that a lot of former Allegro regulars are disappointed with the British Activity Staff.

I thought the Mexican Staff did a good job and "Fit" the idea of a Mexican Beach Resort very well. I have found a nice deal/price for a week in Sept. Just trying to sort out my schedule before I commit.

I am hoping that things will be pretty quiet and peaceful in Sept. when school has restarted. I have been to the Allegro before in Sept. and Oct. and it was just what I wanted. Just sun, water, breeze, a little music, cold beer, etc. I really don't want any wild kids running and screaming around my beach chair.