We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental suggestion with insurance

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
368 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental suggestion with insurance

We are interested in renting a car and most of the sites do not say how much the insurance is. Anyone rent one for a week with insurance and want to share your story.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

We use Thrifty and get full insurance, meaning if anything happens to the car whether its your fault or not, you aren't liable for any charges. Thrift charges $23-$25 a day for that, which is worth your peace of mind, especially considering how some people and taxis drive on the island. The last time we rented from them it was about $335 for seven days, which included the full insurance, taxes and $5 per day for an additional driver (my wife) for a compact Nissan Tusru, automatic, A/C and C/D player. They're located just across from the airport parking lot. Make reservations in advance, they charge about 40% more for walk-ins.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

ISIS car rental 35US a day with full coverage

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

We always rent from Dollar/Thrifty. I buy liability only for $10.00/day

An economy car is less than $150 for the week including rental and insurance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,689 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

Another vote for ISIS. Good value and the owner, Margarita, is one of the islands nicest, most respected business people.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
362 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

Another vote here for Isis! We've rented from Margarita for many years now. She is just the nicest lady, her cars are in good condition and the price which includes insurance is very reasonable. She is very reliable. This is what she quoted me a few weeks ago which is the same as its been since we began renting from her.

-THE RATE IS 35 USD, INCLUDED THE TAX, THE LIABILITY INSURANCE NO DEDUCTIBLE AND THE COLISSION INSURANCE WITH 450 USD AS A DEDUCTIBLE-

We usually rent a VW convertible for only a few days, so I can't advise you on a weekly rate.

In the past she has sent someone to pick us up at the hotel and take us to her place in town to fill out the paperwork, but she told us she is no longer able to do that because the taxi union will not allow it. So, she offered us the car for $30. per day (we are only renting for two days) and that will offset the cost of taking the taxi to her place from the Fiesta Americana. She is just sweet like that!

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

No doubt Margarita is a delight...not only as a person but as a reputable business owner.

This last trip was my first time driving on the island so I had to go with Thrifty for the full insurance and zero deductible. Our hot little Nissan Tsuro, automatic w/air was $292.67 for the week including an additional driver @ $5/day. I did have an accident, someone rear-ended me, tho not bad and Thrifty couldn't tell one scratch from the next (or didn't care) - I felt good knowing I was fully covered and didn't have to possibly come up with a deductible.

7. Re: Car rental suggestion with insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 07:24