We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Question:

Is it even possible to fly direct (non-stop) from Pearson aiport (YYZ) to Cozumel (CZM) at this time of year?

From what I can gather, Signature Vacations doesn't fly to CZM and Air Canada doesn't either.

I'd love to have a week away in Paradise but I have no interest at all in vacationing along the "Mayan Riviera" or doing the "Bag Drag" from CUN.

Thanks!

John from Ontario Canada

Please don't swim with dolphins.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Give Continental a try. Doesn't fly direct, but the route is Toronto, Houston then to Cozumel. Decent connections and no bag drag.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

People can fly from Canada direct to Cozumel without a passport, so I can see the attraction of a direct flight.

If you do go Carden, please give the folks on this forum a heads up on your travel dates so they'll know when to avoid......er, I mean, so they'll know when to greet you at the airport if they're on the island at the same time!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Not right now, I don't think, John. I was loooking for something in September--Signature only does the winter months (as does WestJet), and I got nowhere with AC. That's why we're stuck flying thru DFW. :o(

Ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

I tried everywhere to get a direct flight. No dice. Only option was fly direct to Cancun and then get the ferry. We ended up on Delta. Toronto to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Cozumel. Continental does fly there as well. There are some AI package deals out of Toronto which fly direct but only in the winter months.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Your travel choices are yours alone, but if you ONLY go direct/nonstop to Cozumel then you may not get to go.

The Cancun airport/bus/ferry routing is a viable option that gets you to Cozumel with only a little extra time.

A little extra travel time and you get to Cozumel...or stick to a travel mode that can't be met and not go. Which do you do?

Stay off of mopeds/scooters.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

The A.C. flight is only during high season direct to Cozumel and I think it is a once a week flight that leaves mostly on Fridays.

Getting a red eye continental flight to Houston and the am flight to Cozumel would be the best way to go at this time of year. I use this pattern to go to Vancouver most summers.

Another one I have used and works well is via Mexicana. From Vancouver they had twice a week red eye flight to Mexico City and then I would catch the am flight into Coz from Mexico City. I am not sure if Mexicana has resumed direct flights back to Cozumel since the swine flu thing. For a while everybody wanting to go to M. City had to go to Cancun, not sure if that has changed lately.

You will have to connect at this time of year or do the bag drag from Cancun. To not have to deal with US customs, it would almost be worth flying direct to Cancun IMHO.

One thing you have to be careful with re. bag drag, is the ferry schedule. Got stuck in Playa two weeks ago after a long day of cat trapping at Iberostar in Playa, when we assumed there would be an 11pm ferry as there always, always is. We stunk so bad of sardines, we could barely stand ourselves! Since the swine flu they have changed the hours a lot. As of two weeks ago the service for the last ferry to Cozumel was alternating daily: one day last ferry: 8pm, next day: 10pm, then the next 8pm...etc.

Andrea

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

just so you know - especially when talking to airlines - direct and non-stop are not the same thing.

Direct means the plane could stop, but you dont need to get off it to get to your final destination.

only non-stop means non-stop

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

John:

I have done this...remember?

We flew the last week of August.

It was Air Canada.

S

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Air Canada used to fly there in the summer but I'm pretty sure that I read that flights don't resume until Nov 6 this year. They pulled them when the flu hit the news & I suspect that the summer months weren't big sellers without huge discounts so in today's economy why risk lots of empty seats. I had hoped to get one of those discounted trips but it isn't likely this fall.

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Direct flight - Toronto to Cozumel

Thanks for the opinions so far.

Looks like my best (only?) option is to fly into CUN from YYZ and then do the "bag drag" route.

I absolutely despise the "bag drag" idea. Did it once before back in '05 and swore I'd never do it again. Didn't help that my return flight from CUN was delayed by six hours. That meant over 8 hours hanging around CUN airport. Did I mention I hate the "bag drag?"

Landing on U.S. soil isn't an option for me regarding connecting flights. I don't have a passport.

hobie1169:

If I let all the forum users know of my arrival date, I'll assume that all the nice folks between the X-ray machine and the exterior airport doors are my "Welcoming Committee."

CO Pilot: I'll only rent a scooter / moped when I do the SWD thing. Looks like I won't be renting one.

John from Ontario Canada

Please don't ride scooters in the dolphin cages.