We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel Virgin

Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel Virgin

We have been DR travellers for several years and want to make a trip now to Cozumel. We want an AI on the beach which also offers some "off the beach snorkeling" and the ability to take a good walk on the beach in the morning. I am looking at the Wyndham, Allegro and the Iberostar. Would also like reasonable food and ammenities but not looking for major frills.

Any help would be appreciated. Also outside of town, is it safe to rent a vehicle (jeep) and explore.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Also consider the Occidental Grand unless you crossed it off already.

Typically good shore snorkeling and nice beaches don't go together.

Cozumel is safe. Jeeps offer no tactical advantages unless you want one for ambiance.

Consider getting the Cozumel map from cancunmap.com so you drive to snorkel spots.

Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel Virgin

We wrote off the Grand because the other three have very similar pricing with the Grand somewhat higher. But if there is any great advantage we will throw in the extra money if it is worth it. Only about $300.00 more. Thanks for the vehicle and map tip.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
890 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Does anyone have an opinion about the Park All-Inclusive? I think I remember it is closer to the town than other all-inclusives. How is the snorkeling from there?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel Virgin

I just wanted you to be aware of the Grand. How you get to your final choice is yours alone.

As one note, both Larry (cicopo) and I agree that the Allegro has the best beach in that area. The Grand would be second. Iberostar third in that area.

Larry can rank the Wyndham beach but it is probably closer to the Iberostar in overall quality.

I had a technical assessment of the three beaches somewhere. Will have to find it.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/m4wggn

Cozumel
Level Contributor
448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Link to the parks combo:

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/Combos.asp

Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Just checked out the Grand a little more and certainly looks very nice. Might be worth the few extra bucks. I realize the beach will not be Punta Cana but we just want a nice morning walk. Would you need beach shoes? No need in Punta Cana as there is no coral or shells in the sand... very soft under foot.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
890 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Sorry, I meant the hotel, Park Royal Cozumel All-inclusive. I liked the idea that it was closer to town than the other all-inclusives. The original poster might not agree, since she is looking for Southern all-inclusives. But I vaguely remember something about snorkeling in front of Park Royal, something the orginal poster might like. Can anyone confirm this?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel Virgin

Florida, if you look at this picture of the Park Royal area, there is no "long walks on the beach."

So I would not recommend it for this poster

www.cancunmap.com/assist/park_royal.html

Here is the Grand:

cancunmap.com/assist/occidental_grand.html

Allegro:

http://www.cancunmap.com/assist/allegro.html

Iberostar:

www.cancunmap.com/assist/iberostar.html

Lots of real beach at and south of the Wyndham complex

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel Virgin

I'd shop the Grand & Iberostar by price & take the lower of the 2. Both offer pros & cons when looked at head to head, and I've stayed at both but my stays at the Iberostar were far enough back that it may not be relative. My stay at the Grand was in Feb and although it's nice enough I prefer the Iberostar. You can walk the beach bare footed, but every so often you may have to watch where you are stepping when traveling south of the Iberostar. No real issue walking north of there.

You can find extensive photo tours of each property (including the Park Royal) in my album set. Allegro is listed as Holiday Village White Sands, and older albums are way down from this years newer upload. All are relevant except for minor property changes.

www.picasaweb.google.com/cicopo