We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

jennlynnmahan80
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Are there formal seatbelt laws in Cozumel like the US?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Yes. The driver of a vehicle must wear a seatbelt. Passengers are not required to.

http://www.travelyucatan.com/trans-6.htm

jennlynnmahan80
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

So would it be an issue if a child was sitting on a lap in the backseat of a car?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
131 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

It is not an issue for children to be seated on laps. There were no carseat laws when we were living in Cozumel several years ago, and I do not think that has changed.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Now your question is a bit clearer, but perhaps still not well stated. I don't know the laws but have read (unconfirmed and best recollection) that all people needed a seatbelt.

Can you clarify your situation. How many people and what ages?

Is it an issue that you have more people than seatbelts?

Are you asking if a child seat booster is needed?

jennlynnmahan80
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my questions. We will have my twins with us who will be 3 at the time. I was first wondering if I needed to drag some type of car seat or booster for them and also if there would be a problem with them sitting on our laps in the backseat to get a better view of the island.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Thanks for the clarification. So your questions deal with

1) Seat belt/booster laws which I don't know

2) Enforcement of any laws..again I can't answer that

3) Safety (my addition), to which I would encourage you to use seat belts or booster seats if available.

I am a strong proponent of safety belts and have seen people seriously hurt who did not use them and were ejected from a vehicle on the east side.

So I would strongly encourage you to restrain your twins while driving. There are plenty of places to stop and get out to enjoy the scenery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Personally I don't understand why you'd not wear a seat-belt as they save lives; I find it harder to understand why you'd not put 3 year old children in seat-belts.

A friend of ours died in a crash from internal injuries caused by not wearing a seat-belt; IMO safety comes far higher than letting your child see the view...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Cozumel has seatbelt laws but, like most traffic laws, they rarely enforce them. I dont know anyone here who wears a seatbelt. Not saying its a bad idea, just saying they are rarely used.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

Personally, I don't understand why someone cannot just answer the question without lecturing or if you do not know the answer or where to find it, why answer the question at all? I guess just to slap someone's hand.

Maybe she is just trying to get the facts (pertaining to her question) to make her own decision.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there seatbelt laws in Cozumel?

cctexas, maybe it because I prefer that her kids not be injured or killed in case they are in an accident.

It is not unlike telling people to stay off of mopeds because too many people get injured or killed while riding them on Cozumel.