We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm Wilma

Indy
Level Contributor
491 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical storm Wilma

Hey everybody, it looks like I won't get any

help from Fred. It looks like Wilma will be going thru the Yucatan channel thurs and fri

10/20,21. How will the west side be for off shore snorkeling. Will it be choppy and heavy current. I am hoping I don't have to cancel but may have too. I just hope it turn north and doesn't hit Cozumel. Thanks for any expert advise.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

The National Hurricane Center in Miami hasn't actually named it yet, it's still TS#24. Too early to tell where it will go, the projected 5 day path has it going between Cuba and the Yucatan, and if it's mild (Cat.1-2) might just give us waves and wind for a couple days. We have a north front here since 3-4 days ago, and that will help push it away from us, and is also cooling the ocean temps, so any TS or H might stay in warmer waters.

I wouldn't cancel just yet, it might turn out to be nothing for Cozumel, but we're still watching it's development very closely.

Here's a link to the projected 5 day path: (copy/paste on your browser)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/204841.shtml?5day?large

Indy
Level Contributor
491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

Thanks for the info Antonio, but it looks like Cozumel is going to get a direct hit on friday. I have just checked out a few

different weather.com sights and they are all about the same.

Of course it did change quite abit over the last 8 hrs, maybe

it will change again for the better over the next 24 hrs. I can

simply cancel my trip and reschedule, the people of Cozumel

cannot get out of the way. Everybody button down the hatches

and get ready.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

Antonio!!

Hopefull the storm will pass to the south (or north, or east, or just die, for that matter) be careful down there. The last thing Cozumel needs is a Stan....or Rita.....or Katrina. Hope to see you in November!!

Bixby, OK
Level Contributor
457 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

Ditto to Antonio...

We will do our part up here... hope that the storm goes away.... take of yourselves and see the first week in November.

Indy
Level Contributor
491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

It looks like Wilma is turning away from

the Yucatan and is staying out to sea. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! My trip is on.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
111 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

Good news indeed, all the models for Wilma that were updated this morning are looking good for it missing the Yucatan Peninsula.

thestormtrack.com/archives/2005/10/tropical_…

Mentioned in this post
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

the cancun weather board says wilma is expected to become an intense hurricane in the northwestern caribbean sea; all intrerst in western cuba the yucatan peninsula and south florida

South Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

My husband and I are going to Cozumel on Sunday (10/23) regardless of Wilma and are looking forward to some fantastic diving!

San Luis Obispo, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

I guess now we can all sleep soundly knowing that our tropical vacations will go undisturbed while Cuba gets pummeled.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical storm Wilma

Well.....having recently experienced 2 hurricanes, I wish this fate on no one. Many people on the gulf coast have either been displaced or made totally homeless because of these storms. As of right now I have 4 family members living with me because they can't go home (to New Orleans). Unfortunately, many times we can only see what happens to ourselves and any others are left to fend for themselves. Personally I hope no one has to suffer through the loss of family members or property (in that order) as so many that I know have.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana