We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food at El Coz

montreal
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Food at El Coz

Ok, after reading reviews about the food, can anybody tell me if it is worse than the food in a comparable hotel in cuba?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food at El Coz

I haven't been to Cuba, but John, "Carden" has and he just returned from El Coz and he can give you that answer. He will be posting soon. I do stay at El Coz and have no problem with the food, but as I said, can't compare with Cuba, obviously, since I'm from the US.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food at El Coz

Are you going to the AI resort for the FOOD or the accommodations?

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food at El Coz

Montreal:

As Oceanfreak mentioned, I just returned from the El Coz and I've been to this hotel twice before. I've never been to Cuba.

Both the quality and variety of the food in the "open air palapa" restaurant has diminished in comparison to my previous visits. From a business perspective, it makes no sense to have the same variety of foods when the occupancy rate was only +/- 25% last week. One of the reasons for the lack of quantity is that the hotel is trying to save on food costs AND reduce food waste that ends up in the dump. Hotel staff told me this.

The reason I was given (by another tourist, not hotel staff) for the quality issue is that there were 4 cooks in training during my visit and were right in the middle of a "learning curve" regarding how to "cook to order" for just a few guests followed by large amounts of guests during various parts of the day which changed every day.

Food in the reservations restaurant, La Veranda, was equally as good as my previous visits.

Service in both restaurants and the bars was on par with my previous visits which is to say it was excellent.

If the food issue was a concern for me, I would have mentioned this to senior managers at the hotel in order to address it. I chose not to because it wasn't a big deal for me.

John from Ontario Canada

Please don't swim with dolphins.

montreal
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food at El Coz

going for relaxation,service, diving,sun,fishing,drinking,partying...oh and i go to eat, i don't care what and how much there is, as long as it is edible...( look at my previous contribution from Merea del Portillo,Cuba we suvived that for a week)

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food at El Coz

Thanks for the honest evaluation Carden. When I was there the hotel was packed and the variety and food quality was also diminished from previous visits. My service problems were in the form of not being able to get the attention of the many waiters standing around and having to go to the bar to get my own drinks. When I ordered from the menu, I had to wait 30 minutes until the F&B manager walked by and asked how everything was. When I told him, the food came out immediately but was cold. The waiters treated me like royalty the rest of that meal but ignored me with a vengeance on subsequent meals. I am a great tipper so don't even go there. And despite my occasional troll like behavior on this forum, I treat hotel staff with the up most respect while on vacation, so don't go there either. I sensed an overall negative attitude from the restaurant staff when management was not around. The service at the a la carte restaurant was excellent. The food was okay, but still pale in comparison to other AI's. The shrimp in my salad was tough and the gentleman next to us complained that his shrimp with his surf & turf was overcooked and tough.

The food is edible, but pale in comparison with other AI's in Mexico which I have found to be anywhere from good to excellent.

One small example: At the Crown Paradise in Cancun the outdoor snack bar grills your food fresh to order and fills the entire resort with a delicious aroma that really adds to the ambiance not to mention the hot and juicy taste. At the El Coz, the hamburgers and hot dogs are pre-wrapped in paper and may have been sitting there for hours.

No one goes to the El Coz for the food and this should not ruin your trip, but everyone has to eat and good food will certainly add to the quality of your vacation.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
929 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food at El Coz

You are correct CozBobby. The food quality,morale and management seems to have taken a vacation. Definately not the same as 2-5 years ago.

Oz
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food at El Coz

I've stayed there three times and don't plan on going back, not only because of the food but because I've decided I don't want to stay at a AI anymore. I liked the El Coz but realized we were gone most of the time, always had a car for the week, rarely there for lunch and like trying new restaurants so it was silly to pay AI prices just for a place to sleep. The last time we went non AI and might have spent a little more but not much. Sorry to parents, but mine are grown and gone and it is more relaxing without the little ones around like an AI attracts. Except for breakfast the food at the El Coz ain't too swift, you can get a better meal in town for $5-8 or $20-25 if you want upscale.

Oz
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Food at El Coz

Forgot - the reason Carden hasn't been to Cuba is that he's on "The List" that Cuban authorities keep of undesirables.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food at El Coz

I'm with Sailmaster. On an island as safe as Coz where you can wander anywhere anytime and with so many great food choices that range from good cheap eats to high end taste with excellent presentation, an AI would be wasted on me.

Actually, staying at a non-AI hotel and not eating in town would be also be a travesty-except for maybe Casa Mexicana's kick butt MTO breakfast bar.

Even tossing in the "free" drinks wouldn't work for me when I can buy a six pack ("domestics," of course) at Mega for maybe $5 or so. No one on the island has my favorite bourbon, so I have to mule that in. Need another beverage? Reach into the cooler!

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food at El Coz

Sailmaster:

There was a guy on this forum a few months ago that used to insult me for no apparent reason, like you just did. I don't understand why.

I'm not aware of a geographical location called "Oz" but if you are in fact an American, (just guessing here) it's much easier for me to travel to Cuba than it is for residents of the U.S.A.

John from Ontario Canada

Please don't swim with dolphins.