We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post hurricane Wilma updates from Cozumel

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Post hurricane Wilma updates from Cozumel

I like many of you are awaiting the news. It is hard to get through a day knowing the current situation in a second hand way, but we must be patient. Until power is restored, and the people there get some basic supplies, check on other family members, help each other repair their homes etc it is hard to expect them to take time for us on this forum. Add to that the fact that many computers or internet cafes were likely soaked in sea water or rain, and it becomes clear why the news is slow comming.

I think it only reasonable to expect that many vacation plans need to be completely re-thought. Although Cozumel is a very wonderful place to visit, in the short term it will not be what you expected when you began your planning. There are definately going to be disappointments, but such is what can happen due to mother nature. I intend to plan a visit in the near future, but don't expect things to be as they were on previous visits. The reefs will still be there, although maybe a bit damaged. The resorts however are a totally different matter, many were almost finished rebuilding from Emily but now must start all over again.

The biggest concern I have is for the people of Cozumel, for they were an important asset. Without work their lives will suffer a major set back. Very few of us could afford to loose our income short term, let alone at a time all we owned may also be damaged or ruined. Resorts & businesses run on the backs of their staff, and the staff is who we see, not the owners. Without a good staff the resort, hotel, or restaurant would likely not be successful. Hopefully this will only be a bump in the road, but until the whole picture is seen we must wait; and that is the hardest thing. Please be patient, there are many reliable sources in Cozumel that contribute to this forum, but they need a few days to get things back in order.

I just can't explain how painful it is to either me or my wife to think that all the gains the people of Cozumel have experienced in recent years could be erased so quickly. I hope with all my heart that that is not true, as the people there are the biggest reason for it's success.

Palancar Reef
Geologic Formations, Reefs
Santa Rosa Wall
Columbia Reef
El Paso del Cedral Reef
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post hurricane Wilma updates from Cozumel

A very good freind of ours is posting updates about Cozumel on his website

www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

He also is collecting releif $ for the people of Cozumel.

Alfonso has lived on Cozumel all his life, is a respected businessman on the island and very trustworthy, I would not hesitate one bit to donate money through him

He WILL get it to where it is supposed to go!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post hurricane Wilma updates from Cozumel

Thanks mapchick, I will be sure and donate. I wanted to remind everyone of the fund we started on this forum that will go directly to Trip Advisor forum members living in Cozumel, such as Antonio, who have always been there to answer our questions.

Tom (Hotel Flamingo) has been kind enough to help us out with this and will be distributing the money directly to our forum friends. If you would like to donate, here is the imformation as posted by Tom:

PO Box 3172

Saratoga, CA

or paypall to tom@hotelflamingo.com

The check can be made out in my name- Thomas Fryer . Just indicate "Cozumel relief fund" on the letter. Please include your email address so that I can send you an email to confirm receipt. I will cash the checks and bring the cash down to the island. Right now, there is still no power there so we have no access to ATMs and the banks are all closed. I will just hold on to the money until I get instructions on who to distribute it to.

Thanks

Tom