We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Thanks for putting up with me like the telemarketer that calls during dinner. This will be the last post for the fund we started that will go directly to the forum friends living in Cozumel. Those members include Antonio, Betsyinczm, Hotelflamingo, Robertsdf, and Trishincozumel. If anyone knows of one that I missed, please speak up on this thread or forever hold your peace.

It looks like the reality is, the island is going to take longer to get back on its feet than we initially thought. This is the second major hurricane to hit the island this year, and the second time income has halted for the island. Again, a small forum can not make a difference for the whole island, but it can make a huge difference for a few of our friends.

We received generous exposure on the Cancun forum in a post that listed four relief funds including the Red Cross and our relief fund! It ran for a couple of days, and then it was removed. This leads me to believe that Trip Advisor may not approve of this type of solicitation. They had several Charitable Organizations as sponsors on their home page a few days ago, so I understand it may have been a conflict of interest.

Remember, this fund is not a registered charitable organization with any state or federal agency, just a group of friends helping out other friends. For this reason, any contributions should not be used as a deduction on federal tax returns. I hope that does not deter anyone, just a few dollars is all that is recommended.

If you would like to contribute, now or in the future, please copy the following information. This is the information as posted by Tom, the owner of the Hotel Flamingo in Cozumel.

PO Box 3172

Saratoga, CA

or paypall to tom@hotelflamingo.com

The check can be made out in my name- Thomas Fryer . Just indicate "Cozumel relief fund" on the letter. Please include your email address so that I can send you an email to confirm receipt. I will cash the checks and bring the cash down to the island. Right now, there is still no power there so we have no access to ATMs and the banks are all closed. I will just hold on to the money until I get instructions on who to distribute it to.

Thanks

Tom

I am officially grounded from Trip Advisor and the internet for a little while by my wife. She thinks I'm addicted and spending too much time on here. If anyone has any questions, email me at bobbyepc@yahoo.com. Talk to ya'll in a few weeks.

Thanks

Bobby

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
964 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I have been going to Cozumel for 15 years. Alough Antiono, and some of the rest ,have sorta been up-front with us, I personally belive that, based on other friends there in Cozumel, there is going to be a health problem,hotel problem.transport problems, and most of all, satisfaction issues.

I would not make any plans to visit there until May 06, if then.It will NEVER be the same. Maybe better with out all the cruise ship persons.

Perhaps, everthing is done for a reason???

Claude Dill

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Claude I'm sorry but you really are out of line, way out of line on your post. It is irresponsable, unsensitive, out of touch with reality, and almost seems that it's intention is hurtful. I really don't believe you are in any capacity to determine wether Cozumel will be the same. It won't by the way, it will be BETTER. Cozumel is getting a major face lift, a renovation.

I also don't get what you insinuate with "Alough Antiono, and some of the rest, have sorta been up-front with us". What exactly are you trying to say here, and who by the way are your "friends" here who are giving you this OPINION of conditions in Cozumel [current & future], I really don't believe your source is accurate, in fact I don't believe your "source" exists.

Maybe you're upset because I didn't reply to you personally about the piano man inquiry, who knows.

With all of 3 posts on this forum, you have already shown what kind of person you are, as you have previously on other forums with similar assinine comments.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I promised my wife I would stay off, but this is too much! I thought similar thoughts after Emily, cdill, but the efforts put forth by the people of Cozumel blew me away. The Mexican government and people do a much better job cleaning up after a hurricane than the U.S. Don't judge this by what you saw in New Orleans after Katrina. I went to Cozumel 3 weeks after Emily, and it was immaculate. I had the time of my life.

Everyone is welcome on this forum, but if this is your attitude cdill, then PLEASE don't tread on my thread!!!!

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I agree with Cozbobby... Chill Dill!

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
964 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I am greatly sorry if I offended anyone here. What I am saying in short, is if the arlines aren't going to provide full service until after Jan. 15, and many hotels are not to open until around then and if then, how could things be normal? I love Cozumel and its people and would never do anythung to chance that. I am certain that every person is doing what possible to get Cozumel operating.Again, I personally think planning to go there in the near future may hender the work to repair, and not allow people to see what Cozumel is all about.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Continental has a regular flight starting Nov. 4th, which by the way is almost full.

You original post was telling people not to come until MAY!

Hinder??? No, no one's visit will hinder anything, and the people that are coming in November know fully what the conditions are, and are coming with the mind frame to see if there's anything they can help with. There will be no satisfaction issues, nor any hotel issues, health issues or transportation issues as you irresponsably claimed in your first post.

Make sure you know what the heck you're talking about before you post.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Cozbobby~

If my husband knew exactly how much time I spend checking in on CZM I'd be grounded also. We've got a trip planned for Jan so my excuse is I want to be aware of how things really are down there...and how better than here????

Antonio~

I'm glad to hear you have such faith in the return of CZM, we're coming down with the attitude that "yeah it won't be the same but we'll be there to experience part of the re-birth of Cozumel". And I'm excited that it's happening so quickly!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,481 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I have the same faith in Cozumel as Antonio and the others. The government and the people here have been amazing. Like many others, I still have no electricity or phone but I hear no one complaining. Everyone is out doing what they can to get things up and running.

One good note, I am not sure which cruise ship (appears to be NCL or RCL) is here but I see one cruise ship setting in the center off the end of the ferry pier. I am sure that is encouraging to the locals to see.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

I just recieved the one donation from Cozbobby this last week. I plan to head back this satruday, so if anyone is interested in sending something there is still time.

thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Post for Relief Fund for Trip Advisor members living...

Just got one more generous donation from cicopo for $200 ! So, we have $450 in the fund now. I will hold onto this and any other future donations and wait on instructions from Bobby on how to distribute the funds.