We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

After about fifteen trips to Cozumel in the last twenty years I thought I was getting good at finding cheap air.... until this year. We've done it all, the majors, discounts, charters, bag drag, even Priceline. We want to travel between Feb 10th and 21st, ideally from Grand Rapids, Mi direct to Coz but we're not opposed to Chicago or Detroit to Cancun, whatever works. The charter companies seem to be dropping like flies, Hobbitt, Worry-Free, etc. The best fare I'm finding is just shy of 500 bucks per person with Continental. That's double what I paid last March. Our lodging is set. Does anyone know something I may be missing or do I bite the bullet, buy the tickets and spend less on fishing, diving, cervesa and tequila? It hurts me even to say that. Thanks

KJ

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

I wish I could help. It's running $600 round trip on American per person from DFW right now for flights in May when it was $400 last year. Crazy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

I feel your frustration. Airfare is INSANE right now. Looking to book in March but rethinking it b/c airfare is more than accomodations and dive packages together. sheesh. how depressing :(

Then there's that risky business of waiting until the last minute... which I am not brave enough to do. Good luck.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

So looking at your past post history, this is your 4th or 5th topic in the last year and a half relating to airfare going up. I hate to tell you this, but ithas gone up and is going to stay up. You yourself pointed out that the travel companies have been dissapearing. Companies like Hobbit, MLT used to buy blocks of seats, or in some cases even an entire plane and sell the seats cheap. They are gone. Now it is up to the main-line carries like NWA/Delta, American, Continental, etc.. these companies are not going to sell the seats for less than it actually cost them to operate the flights. Its not that the airlines are artifically inflating the prices, it is simple economics. They have less planes to fly to vacation spots, but the demand is still there, so the price goes up. As to any tricks to get a good deal, if you find something you think is good, book it. Also try to be flexible with your travel dates. The dates you have are during Carnival. There is higher demand.

The days of 199.00 round trip are gone and will not be returning.

Port Dover, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Have you looked at flying out of Canada ie Windsor or Toronto?

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Hey Ranger, Don't know what posts you're looking at. I've been excited to get what I considered to be great deals on air to Mexico for the last five years or so, just not out there this year. I sure don't want to bankrupt the airlines, just find the best deals I can for me and my middle class family. What airline you work for? You sound pretty defensive.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Check airfare into Cancun

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Checked the Cancun bag drag route and it was $150 per person round trip less than straight into Coz from DFW; however, the return flight is at 7 AM. Also checked our frequent flyer miles and it is now 35,000 credits for a round trip-----Coz tourism should raise H _ _ _ with AA for the $600 ticket price!!!!!! Guess AA is not concerned with getting tourism back up in Mexico---only $$$ in their pockets as fuel prices (jet fuel) is cheaper than it was a year ago!!!!!!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

I saw $446 ORD to CUN

If the charters are gone then with a set date looks like you pay that amount or don't go. I doubt prices will drop but I am not able to predict the future reliably.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

What's more is even if you do find a good price as I did in Dec. and booked for April - $295/person total - Continental has changed it twice since then. Dropping flights, our nice, over an hour layover in Houston has now been dropped to 55 min. between. This, with a family of 4, two kids 13 and under, may prove to be a bit of a challenge. Not to mention the flights they dropped on the way back making our layover over 4 hours.

I fully understand the economics of it, but it still $ucks.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare almost double from recent years, any help?

Wineott, at least on the way back you will not be stressed about getting through customs. Enjoy a leisurely meal during that time.