We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to buy your vacation?

Nashville,TN
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
When is the best time to buy your vacation?

I want to bring our family to Cozumel- We went last year and stayed at the Park Royal and loved it.

When is the best time to book my vacation for June? I have always used Expedia because they always have the best prices.

Do you think I should wait a while to see if prices go down, or should I book now?

I would appreciate any advise from anyone! We are flying from Memphis with 3 adults and 2 kids.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

If you go to kayak.com you can see everybody's prices...obritz, priceline etc.

then you can sign up for daily reports...so then you'll be able to see if the prices are dropping. I'd wait if i was you.

if only we could find anything affordable from Dallas or Austin!!

i'm keeping an eye out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

Froglegs, I was all set to poo-poo the notion of expensive trips to Coz from Texas, but I stand corrected. For grins and giggles I went to Orbitz and chose the same dates & hotel that I booked from Toronto. It's maybe $100 cheaper to fly from DFW to Coz than our route of Toronto/Houston/Coz. Wow. That's pretty crazy.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

See? It just ain't right....plus we have a 400 mile drive to the airport from far west tejas.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

I still haven't booked mine for April, but I know the dates we're going....waiting for just that right time, then will grab it.

It's getting a little nerve racking, but I do this every year and we save. I know prices are higher this year, but still there's a period of time that they will reduce.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

I booked the Allegro for March 2-9 on or about Jan 20. The cost was $697 pp. The same trip currently is $1045. Of course apply 200entertain code and get another $200 off. I think for me and my situation 4-6 weeks out seems to be a sweet spot because I was also looking at some earlier dates and the 4-6 week timing seemed to hold then as well.

Peace out

Herb

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

Herb, good for you that you got that. I think part of it, is the city you're traveling from. Our lower states that are warmer seems to cost more, up until closer in to our travel dates, that's been my experience personally.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

I started looking back in early December for early Feb. I made a spreadsheet and tracked the prices for quite a while out of STL. Things didnt quite work out and so we passed the window of opportunity. I revised our departure dates and started all over again, and booked at 6 weeks out. That was enough nerve racking for me and so I bit the bullet. Glad I did. I'm not gonna say a word on the airplane down to Coz.

There is a good possibility that cities south suck when it comes to cheap flights....can't really speak to that...but I can say that STL has lost a ton of flights over the past 18 months and is hardly a player in the airline industry any more.

Peace out

Herb

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

"cities south suck when it...."

We've been going since 1989 and it didn't used to be that way until this year...& maybe last year....i'm bummed.

just for fun i'll throw this out...our first trip was $99. round trip!

These days i'd like to find something between $300. and $400....under $500. for sure...air only.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

We are going in April. I booked airfare just after Thanksgiving. We have two one ways as we are flying into Cancun and flying outta Cozumel as we have a split trip with the hotels. Times I have checked the air fare they were higher, so I am glad I booked when I did. Our 2 one ways with tax out RDU (NC) is $479. I thought that was good. We could have booked cheaper, but I did not want a really early departure time on either flight. The problem with waiting is that you may not get the departure times you want. There are four of us and I wanted us all to sit together on the plane.

I also booked the Palace resorts in December on the last day before the winter specials were to expire. I also have not seen the prices go down. Granted they may go down last minute, but I am not a last minute person, I like to have things lined up early.

I used the Hotel and airline direct. I have never found expedia or other sites to be better than the direct sites.

For grins, I just checked expedia and they are $113 higher than what I booked direct with Palace.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is the best time to buy your vacation?

Astrid, when I say I wait, I don't mean "last minute". I'm talking about maybe a couple of months. Yes there are last minute bargains, but unless it's one of our second or third trips down for the year, that's not our normal bookings. A couple of years ago in February, my hubbie said "lets go to Cozumel tomorrow" and I asked him if he was out of his mind. I couldn't get that together that quick, but then the next day, he said the same thing and I was prepared, because I suspected he would say the same thing, so all that day, I quietly started packing. haha

Last summer there were so many cheap flights that were insane, because of the flu scare. We went in April and wen't back 2 weeks later, then July and Sept, so that was 4 trips! I'm sure that won't happen again.

No, not waiting last minute for April, I'm aleady getting antsy.

I'll just say t everyone planning, "good luck to us all."