We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

I know this isn't going to set well on this forum, but I really feel the need to share. Please don't attack me with your "polly anna" views. I don't want to hear them. I'm entitled to my opinion and this is it.....

We selected this hotel because of the excellent reviews. Every day we were there, I wondered if we were at the right place! I’ve been to Mexico 9 times and stayed at 9 different resorts. This was by far the worst one I’ve ever stayed at.

We paid for a garden view and so did not expect an ocean view class of room, but come on people! Room 421....our “garden view” consisted of an old used air conditioning unit, two gas tanks and a sewer vent. Our window was riveted shut and, contrary to popular belief in this venue, not “all rooms are ocean view” and not “all rooms have a balcony/patio”.

I talked to the manager (Victor) twice. He just smirked at me and shook his head in a way that said “too bad for you lady”. I talked to the Worry-Free rep who said he could do nothing and last I talked to the lady concierge a.k.a room Nazi, who was actually stern and nasty. She told me she might have something tomorrow, but tomorrow NEVER came. All I kept telling them is that I don’t expect ocean view, but I do expect what I paid for. I asked Victor if this was the worst room they had, and he said “NO”….buyer beware!!!

Not only was the view crap, but the room was teeny (contrary to advertized table and chairs in the garden view rooms – there was no room for that). Anything chrome was corroded and ugly. The toilet paper roll was only a spring. There was a dead bug

? cockroach in the light diffuser in the bathroom. The bathroom “vanity” was only 3 feet wide and pie shaped. The furniture was old fixed up bamboo, no dresser, but there were built in shelves that were gross. I didn’t put my clothes away until day 3 because we had no more floor room for them. I would love to be able to share my pictures with you!

Suggestion for the manager: Make a 4th grade of room – Deluxe – Ocean View – Garden View – AND CRAPOLA!

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

That does not sound nice at all. And it does not sound like you were treated nicely either. I have never been a fan of El Coz for many reasons. Now it's time for Oceanfreak to chime in and sing her praises.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
686 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Just be curiosity how much did you pay for this little even:o(

I have been to El Coz and didnèt know you could get a garden view room. All I see on the web sites from Canada is ocean view and they are not cheap at certain times of the year.

Thanks for the info about the crapy room with a garden view.

Hope it didn;t stop you from enjoying Cozumel and it's people.

We are going to Melia next door no worries there.

Lyne

Gatineau, Canada

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

"Now it's time for Oceanfreak to chime in and sing her praises."

Uncalled for.

Just like the original poster, everybody is entitled to their opinions. Thanks to the OP for sharing your experience.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,061 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

You are correct--everyone is entitled to their opinion and good to hear yours.But sorry it was a bad experience. At least you didnt find the previously mentioned bed bugs, ha ha.

It is always interesting to hear varying opinons on the forums. And th opinions do vary on every hotel , every restaurant, etc.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions....and I gave mine.

Maple Plain...
Level Contributor
59 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Darn...sorry your trip south..went SO south! We look so forward to these get-aways to warm weather and then.....major bummer. Just wondering, what building was this room in..North or South?

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Apparently there were absolutely no good attributes on this vacation.

A "cockroach in the light diffuser". In some countries that is considered a good omen. (No, I don't know which countries. Google it). ;-)

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

I am sorry it was so disappointing. That really is a bummer.

I would love to see some pictures. We had considered this resort so if you can give us any pics that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

houston, texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

Im sorry your vacation turned out badly. Is there anyway we can see the pictures you've taken of the unit?

10. Re: We must have been at the wrong El Coz!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:03