We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autan mosquito repellent

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Autan mosquito repellent

My wife attracks mosquitoes like a magnet and someone suggested she try this repellent (supposedly not as sticky or oily and smelly as some others) but I can't find it in any stores in Oklahoma and the only place I have been able to find it online is the UK. Does anyone know if it is available any where in Cozumel?

We are going to Coz in July so she will need to stock up on a good mosquito repellent. If anyone has any other suggestions we are open to any good ideas,

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

I've been told we can get the Autan at Chedraui and Mega stores in Coz.

We were iin Albino's last summer one evening and all of a sudden we were attacked by mosquitos. Albino came out with the Autan for us to use. It was a white cream and I have NEVER seen anything work so fast. They were instantly gone.

Mega will be one of the first stores I'll hit we we get there in April.

I have to add that April isn't getting here very fast!

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

I bought some at Chedraui...you have to ask the gals in the pharmacy for it, it's a behind the counter thing. Make sure it's Autan Family, lotion. Not only keeps the skeets at bay but moisturizes well too!

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

I have seen it for sale only in Mexico.

I have no idea what's in Autan but it seems to work better than any American product I have tried and it's not all that expensive.

Although, our Deep Woods Off protected us at San Gervasio ruins just fine when our tour guide announced "Now is the time of the Tabano", meaning that we were entering their territory and were about to get attacked by the little critters.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

Autan is the brand name used in much of the world for a DEET alternative with the active ingredient called Picaridin. It is supposed to be less messy and not damage plastics as DEET products. Its effectiveness and length of time of protection varies according to the percentage.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

Cutter Advanced is a Autan product readily available in the US and has a 7% concentration of icaridin/picaridin. Autan is made by the SC Johnson Co. Autan is considered equally effective as DEET products. Keep in mind that the protection lasts for a period of hours with the higher concentrations lasting longer. 3M's Ultrathon is the best of the DEET products as it has a delayed release feature. Each has specific usage cautions so read the labels.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

Thank you for this information. If anything bites, it will find me. I returned from Cozumel with red bites covering the backs of my legs. Not only that, but the welts stay on me for a week.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

Thanks for all the info. Our first stop will probably Chedraui.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

It is difficult to get unbiased comparisons of the effectiveness of DEET vs picaridin/icaridin also called by chemical name KBR

Chedraui has it in the household section (next to roach spray), Autan made by SC Johnson Co, of Mexico, the lotion is 20% for $40 pesos said to be effective up to 8 hours and the cream is 10% for $48 pesos rated up to 4 hours effective, both 120ml size bottles.

One study rated a 7 1/2% solution as not effective against certain specials which carried Dengue and West Nile. Personally I'd want at least a 15% and would go with the 20%. That is under $4 dollars for either one and it is widely carried in many stores here.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

Prior to visiting Curacao in Jan. I ordered Cutter with Picardin on Amazon.com. I do not remember the concentration but it worked very well without the nasty smell of DEET.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Autan mosquito repellent

I have had issues with DEET making me nausiated, are there any natrual products that work?