We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

Louisville,Kentucky
1 post
Save Topic
which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

We are planning vacation in Cozumel this April or May. The only thing my husband is planning to do is dive.

1.What would be the best place to stay, so he can just get out from the resort and be picked up by a diving team (may be it does not work this way).

2. Is it a good time of the year to visit Cozumel (in terms of weather)?

Thanks to everybody.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

Awesome time of the year! April and May are my favorite months to be there! 23 sleeps for us!

Not a diver myself but I do know that the southern resorts would be most convenient for a diver. To narrow it down, it would be helpful to know some detailed criteria you desire, i.e. proximity to town, budget, beach or man-made beach, dive op preference (if he has one), AI or no, etc. Then the divers here can better guide you. :)

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

All but a few resorts on the island have piers for diver pickup and those that don't have piers nearby. Hotels from El Presidente south are closer to most of the dive sites than hotels north of El Pres -- meaning shorter boat runs. But lots of operators have fast boats, so location really doesn't make that much difference in the end.

I'd say you should choose a resort that appeals to you for its amenities and worry about the diving later.

Anytime in the spring is very, very nice in Cozumel.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

I would say Allegro. The dive shop is great and the staff is even better. If you are not a diver, you can enjoy the resort while he is away.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

Fiesta Americana has their own dive shop, called Dive House, just cross the street and it's there and not too far from the reefs.

Also, you can use Scuba Du and they will pick up at Fiesta Americana's dock. It is quite a ways out of town at Fiesta Americana, but it sounds like you really don't mind that. You can either rent a car or go by taxi.

I haven't used Dive House, so can't personally recommend them. Although, I haven't seen any bad reports on them. I've been using Scuba Du and could recommend. They're a fantastic bunch of guys there.

Of course, as mentioned, there are other resorts a little farther south that you can stay, but I've never stayed there, so couldn't give any details on them. You'll be getting many more suggestions on those.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
69 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

I just used the Hotel Cozumel. They have dive lockers for gear right by there pier. Nothing fancy, but on the edge of town and very clean and laid back

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

I would suggest that you choose a Resort on the south end of the island.

The Iberostar, The Occidental Grand and The Allegro are pretty far outside of town, but they are all very close to the most popular dive sites. Short boat trips to the dive sites means more time around the pool for the rest of your stay. All three of the resorts above are All Inclusives and are usually considered very nice.

7. Re: which resort is the most convinient to stay for a diver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 05:18